Python Water Changer

My issue that I came across is that my sink doesn’t have threads of any sort. I love in an apartment and so I couldn’t mess with the plumbing in any way or replace the sink (Altho we had an unrelated issue and our bathroom is torn apart rn anyways) and so I needed a way to get the python to attach to the sink. My friend works at my LFS and she hooked me up with some excess tubing. I got 2 different sizes and ended up going with the smaller one to get a snug fit. And snug it was. I used a blow dryer on high for 10 minutes to get it to fit, but it worked and I was able to fill up the first tank in the new “fishroom” (check my college apartment log for that) and now the python works wonderfully.

FFFAF227-55DD-4F97-8746-2D0E4B19CB8A.jpeg

D55F5A39-B09B-4062-B987-8217C93B4AD2.jpeg

121BF8DE-9513-4BE1-9446-4AFE8D6259B4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I couldn’t figure out to hook mine into any of our decorative faucets and didn’t have something to remove an aerator. But our shower had an unused hand-held shower head portion.... tried that but it was not matching up. Took both parts to the hardware store down the street and the dude there thought for 5 minutes and found me a converter. 

Gotta love a decent local hardware store. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

@RovingGinger, @Steph’s Fish and Plants, I should really get one of those Python systems.  Am still strong-arming water buckets around.  💪🤣 🧺

after you get one, you'll wish you had got one sooner. If you don't have an auto water change system in your fish room, it is well worth the investment, and you can even get extension hoses to make it longer if you need.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

after you get one, you'll wish you had got one sooner. If you don't have an auto water change system in your fish room, it is well worth the investment, and you can even get extension hoses to make it longer if you need.

Andy, I thought about it awhile back, but I do like the 'commuting with nature' aspect of water changes.  Sure, it is a lot of work, but it is good exercise too.

Maybe when the lower back starts getting sore again, I might be singing a different tune.  😜

1 minute ago, DaveSamsell said:

Andy, I thought about it awhile back, but I do like the 'commuting with nature' aspect of water changes.  Sure, it is a lot of work, but it is good exercise too.

Maybe when the lower back starts getting sore again, I might be singing a different tune.  😜

I know what you mean communing with nature, That's why I still do my water changes with the python instead of installing an auto water changer so that I have to look into each tank, check the fish out, see what's happening. 

I still do some lifting though, I fill 5 gallon jugs with RO/DI water and then have to dump them into tanks, and I can tell when I've had a busy day doing that quite a few times

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

@RovingGinger, @Steph’s Fish and Plants, I should really get one of those Python systems.  Am still strong-arming water buckets around.  💪🤣 🧺

I had my husband talked into doing most of the lugging but his dumping methodology wasn’t the best for aquascaping... good price for a marriage protector. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DaveSamsell said:

That's what I used to say until MY back started rebelling. I had to get the 50 ft hose though. It wouldn't attach to my kitchen sink to it has to go back to my utility room. There are days I cuss that long hose, then I remember the buckets and quit complaining. I love my Python! I use a small manual siphon to drain a small amount into a bucket to rinse filters and water my house plants.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My python wouldn't fit on any of the sinks in my house.  I brought all of the pieces to local hardware stores and they had nothing in stock that would make it fit.  After a lot of thinking, debating, and a lot of frustration I went and bought a utility faucet from Lowes.  My bathroom has 2 sinks and i simply replaced the faucet on the sink that I didn't use to the utility faucet.  It might not look the best but it worked for me. I think the new faucet cost me $19.  If and when I decide to sell my house I will just put the old faucet back on.