HenryC

• pH - 7.6
  • Nitrates - 20-40
  • Hardness - 350ppm
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Ammonia - 0
  • KH/Buffer - 260ppm
  • Water Temperature - 79F

Hi guys, my angelfish has developed this very nasty, painful looking open wound on its right "cheek".

Does anyone ahve any idea what is this? I thought bacterial infection but doesn't look like it? It started as a white, fuzzy patch, then in 2 days has progressed into this. I've been treating with malachite green from the moment I saw it, but seems it hasn't been useful. Any suggestions are welcome.

He shares the 100g tank with other 3 angelfish, a big oscar and a baby jack dempsey. I thought the jack dempsey might have attacked him or something, but seems unlikely, this tank is very very peaceful.
Edited by HenryC
  • Sad 1

Yikes. I second the salt. I have recently discovered it is pretty magical for tolerant species. I have gone as high as 1Tbsp per gallon for guppies and bettas with miraculous results. I would need to double check the tolerance of angels, but my feeling is that they are not especially sensitive. Not knowing what caused it... the fact that it is progressing makes me inclined to think faster is better in this case, and salt is pretty fast if you aren't sure what you are dealing with. 

My philosophy with salt is that it is practically chemotherapy, we are counting on the fact that the disease dies faster than the patient. In brackish-tolerant species that may be an extreme statement, but really it is a lot like that for most fish. In the case of really urgent but unspecified disease it seems to be the best shotgun approach--killing everything, but hopefully germs faster than fish. This seems to be the perfect sort of case for salt. If you can eradicate the infection, then you can slowly change away the salt, and let the damage heal with time and scrupulous water care.

If you can diagnose a disease exactly, then there is a tailor made tool for the job. But if not, salt does seem to be a good first line of defense.

• Thanks 1

When you say White Fuzzy.... my mind goes to fungus.   Maybe an injury or stress first, and then fungal spores in the aquarium colonized.  Poor water quality or old and aging fish can also lead to things like this.   
I would start with a quarantine tank with clean water and a salt treatment.  If the fish is eating a high quality diet.   If not maybe pickup it’s favorite frozen food, I would thaw and feed very little several times a day.    While waiting to see if salt is helping pick up a good fungus cure.  
Good Luck

On 2/24/2021 at 3:19 AM, Brian said:

When you say White Fuzzy.... my mind goes to fungus.   Maybe an injury or stress first, and then fungal spores in the aquarium colonized.  Poor water quality or old and aging fish can also lead to things like this.   
I would start with a quarantine tank with clean water and a salt treatment.  If the fish is eating a high quality diet.   If not maybe pickup it’s favorite frozen food, I would thaw and feed very little several times a day.    While waiting to see if salt is helping pick up a good fungus cure.  
Good Luck

Thanks. Unfortunately the fishie passed away today 😞

I kept the water pristine, nitrates below 10. Was doing water change every other day, and treating with malachite green, but it didn't work at the end. I was about to do the salt treatment when I noticed he had passed away today.

Here are more pics of the problem, just in case anyone can indentify for sure. I'm so sorry I could not save him u_u. He was very big and beautiful.

154699067_3736923113010593_5396466679230898115_n.jpg

155199319_217447303400839_3207712726942967598_n.jpg

Edited by HenryC

1 hour ago, Colu said:

The way the face has been eaten away could be a nasty bacterial infection I would Keep an eye on your other fish

Yes, I'm keeping a close eye. The other 3 angelfish of the same size are completely fine, as well as a baby jack dempsey, a redhead tapajos and a big oscar. But I will monitor closely and have salt ready.