Good question. I think that our LFS uses some sort of blue-tinted treatment . . . I'd be guessing . . . maybe a diluted methylene blue? But for some solid recommendations, check out the Rachel O'Leary video below. In general, a 1 part bleach to 10 parts scalding hot water solution, leave items immersed for at least 5 minutes, then move to a separate container with water + heavy dose of dechlorinator. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jennifer V said:

@Fish Folk @Danny LeVeck this might be dumb, but when you're talking about tools, what are you talking about? Should I bleach the tweezers I use to feed frozen bloodworms and the turkey baster I use to suck out the uneaten food every time? I've just been using Dawn dish soap and extremely hot water followed by a long hot water rinse. 

Yes tools like that. I had a disease issue in my tank resurface. It’s what made me think of it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 7:13 AM, Danny LeVeck said:

What’s the safest and most effective way to sterilize all your aquarium tools to prevent recontamination? 

Hi, I am new to this forum, but just wanted to share; I had this exact Question. I noticed Petco uses a blue solution But Petsmart has a green one. I don't use bleach, it's harsh on my lungs. I did some googling & it seems a lot of people use peroxide. I tried it- soaked, then rinsed the next day, and was happy with the results! 

I also found a product called "Jungle Net Soak" it's seems to be a Diluted methylene Blue Product, I ordered it just recently but it also seems to work!

• Like 1