Outdoor pond

Taco Playz

Putting orange peels around the pond may help. I do this with my cats when I don't want them somewhere. We did that with our christmas tree this year and it worked, until it started stinking up the house. But because its outside there shouldn't be an issue with a stink. You can also keep bigger fish that the cat can't physically eat or pick up. Or faster fish such as danios that the cat will have harder time to grab. You could do a deeper pond so that the fish have a place to go where the cat can't get them. Or you could get a net to drape over the pond.

I have heard the orange peel thing before. I don't know if  that would work. I like the idea of a net drape do you have a website you have gotten a net drape from. I kinda wanted to put some of my over populated guppy fry in there. Also any big buckets/carts I could use for the pond. I was thinking the big things that @Cory uses in his fish room but I don't know where to find them.

1 minute ago, Taco Playz said:

I have heard the orange peel thing before. I don't know if  that would work. I like the idea of a net drape do you have a website you have gotten a net drape from. I kinda wanted to put some of my over populated guppy fry in there. Also any big buckets/carts I could use for the pond. I was thinking the big things that @Cory uses in his fish room but I don't know where to find them.

I am not sure where to find what cory uses either. But I do know that many people use stock tanks. Heres a link to a 110 gallon:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-stock-tank-110-gal# it is $75. It is fairly tall. I have gotten nets from amazon, just make sure that the holes aren't big enough for a cats paw to go through. So something like this would work very well: https://www.amazon.com/Jade-Active-Pond-Netting-Feet/dp/B07KJ8VFVJ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=pond+net&qid=1613514890&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUzQ3OFExM1JWUEcmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NjgyNjUxUzc2NEhMUlNZTDBOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1OTA3NDUxS0dMUzRHSUY1REdZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== 

I had 2 cats growing up and two fish ponds and neighborhood cats and none of them were ever a problem.  The most they did was drink the water.  That said we DID have raccoon problem.  I don't know how they do it but they're quite good at swimming and catching fish and destroying plants while they're at it.

We had a "neighbor" a couple blocks away that used a mini electric fence.  There's also a this sticky pitch like stuff that you can drizzle around the perimiter that sticks to their feet and they hate that (raccoons and cats), but that stuff doesn't last forever so you have to be diligent and its also annoying when you're trying to do maintenance (or playing if you're a kid like I was).

We also considered pond netting but there was a fear (IDK how legitimate) that a kid or animal could get tangled and drown.  Personally I'd consider it a bonus if a raccoon drowned, I hate those guys with a passion, but I am fond of human children.

• Like 1

My cat likes to drink from the (20 gallon) pond but doesn't bother the fish. But I've only had guppies outside before. The raccoons have pulled out the plants and sponge filter before, but no fish deaths from what I could see.

We've had the same family of raccoons come back for years. Curious creatures, but not had any issues with them. 

On 2/16/2021 at 6:08 PM, CT_ said:

I had 2 cats growing up and two fish ponds and neighborhood cats and none of them were ever a problem.  The most they did was drink the water.  That said we DID have raccoon problem.  I don't know how they do it but they're quite good at swimming and catching fish and destroying plants while they're at it.

We had a "neighbor" a couple blocks away that used a mini electric fence.  There's also a this sticky pitch like stuff that you can drizzle around the perimiter that sticks to their feet and they hate that (raccoons and cats), but that stuff doesn't last forever so you have to be diligent and its also annoying when you're trying to do maintenance (or playing if you're a kid like I was).

We also considered pond netting but there was a fear (IDK how legitimate) that a kid or animal could get tangled and drown.  Personally I'd consider it a bonus if a raccoon drowned, I hate those guys with a passion, but I am fond of human children.

I'm planning on putting the pond in my backyard so no children would  be close to it. Would opossums eat fish? Also if you guys have any cheap bins that you use for ponds. Thanks

Built a Koi pond about 12 yrs ago.   3ft deep & about 1000 gallons.  Filled it with some very nice $$$ Koi.  Racoons & herons cleaned it out in a few months.    Moved the depth to 4ft & added a false bottom.  Few large stones with a piece of slate on it.  Stocked it with 5 cheapie Pets Mart Koi under $10 each.   1 is still kicking & about a foot long.  Other then me...  they head to the fake bottom.