I need help finding a filter

Robert Rebeyka

I have had a tank for about 4 years. I noticed my fish becoming very inactive even though a few days prior they were swimming around happy as could be. I phoned the pet store asking about potential issues in my tank. The asked what kind of filter I had and I told them i had a Hang On Back filter and that I had recently replaced the cartridge. The store (whose advice I rely on and trust a lot) suggested I get a filter that doesn't take cartridges. What kind of filters would you suggest? Thanks in advance 

39 minutes ago, Robert Rebeyka said:

I have had a tank for about 4 years. I noticed my fish becoming very inactive even though a few days prior they were swimming around happy as could be. I phoned the pet store asking about potential issues in my tank. The asked what kind of filter I had and I told them i had a Hang On Back filter and that I had recently replaced the cartridge. The store (whose advice I rely on and trust a lot) suggested I get a filter that doesn't take cartridges. What kind of filters would you suggest? Thanks in advance 

Changing the cartridge in the HOB (Hang on the back) shouldn't have an effect on your fish and their behavior. So I would say first thing to do is test your water and parameters. Second have you changed anything else or when was your last water change? If your only concern is the filter, what size tank do you have? You also don't want to just swap to a new filter like the mentioned above without running it for a while with your old to build up biological bacteria. I would suggest hot rodding the HOB for now like mentioned above and that with a good CoOp intake filter might be more than enough and save you from spending money on un-needed items. There are a lot of variables to why your fishes behavior has changed so its not the easiest question to answer. Hope some of this helps 

3 hours ago, Robert Rebeyka said:

I'd suggest an Aqua Clear filter if you decide to change it.

2 hours ago, Branden said:

Changing the cartridge in the HOB (Hang on the back) shouldn't have an effect on your fish and their behavior. So I would say first thing to do is test your water and parameters. Second have you changed anything else or when was your last water change? If your only concern is the filter, what size tank do you have? You also don't want to just swap to a new filter like the mentioned above without running it for a while with your old to build up biological bacteria. I would suggest hot rodding the HOB for now like mentioned above and that with a good CoOp intake filter might be more than enough and save you from spending money on un-needed items. There are a lot of variables to why your fishes behavior has changed so its not the easiest question to answer. Hope some of this helps 

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that.  When you replace one of the cartridges you're throwing away a good portion of the beneficial bacteria colony, which can certainly affect the fish until the colony catches back up to its previous level.

Being you have had this tank for 4 years, I am assuming this is not your first cartridge change. If my assumption is correct, and you didn't do anything different this time compared to the previous times, then I think you should look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

Water parameters would be a first step. Also, it may be worth it to test your tap water to see if it has changed, as sometimes municipalities change additives, which can have an effect on parameters.

Edited by quikv6

Just a side note. Fish becoming inactive could be a sign that the tank has gotten cooler. Check your water temp. It's possible your heater failed and the tank is now cooler and your fish are slowing down as a result. It could also be too warm if taken to extremes. Warm water holds less oxygen so fish can have more breathing issues and slow their movements down so they don't run out of  oxygen.

• Like 1

I'm a 'fan' of the Aquaclear HOB filters that allow the hobbyist to decide the media to use rather than a disposable cartridge. I have 3 AC Hob's currently in use. For a similar reason, I like Seachem's relatively new Tidal filters, although I have yet to buy one.

You might find interest in this Aquarium Filters article as well as a deep dive in Filtration and Water Quality.   🙂

• Like 1