Low stock, low feeding, heavily stem planted, but High nitrates

Hemali

Since set up, my nitrates for my 55 stayed around 5-10ppm (about 6 months now) but recently they went from 5ppm to 40ppm in a matter of a 2 weeks. I have a load of fast growing stem plants (ludwigia repens, anacharis) and floating plants (salvinia and water lettuce) to help with nitrates. I dont think the ludwigia has been growing as quick and they have algae growing on them now after the last small trimming. (All trimming were replanted in the same tank about 1.5 weeks ago)

0 ammonia 0 nitrites ph 7.8, fluval fx4 filter, airstone, prefilter sponge
20-22 juvenile corydoras, 16 juvenile rummynose tetras, 6 chili rasboras, 8 Amano shrimp, 8 ottoceiclus.

20210209_163524.jpg.5f1a23fd969bbd43e188ef607bd5421b.jpg20210209_165403.jpg.0a3f921e26d85c961215702ce9ab242c.jpg

Hi @Hemali -- inferring that your question here is: why are these Nitrate readings changed, since not that much seems to have altered in the stable aquarium?

This can be difficult to diagnose. My first step is always to _retest_ my Nitrates. Not sure exactly what water test you use. Let's assume it's API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Make sure that you're consistent in how well you shake the Nitrate bottles. That second bottle reagent contains crystals that must get properly broken up to provide an accurate reading. So, I shake bottles very well. Then shake the test tube very well. Then wait 5 mins before taking a reading. Always shake briefly before reading, as the color may tend to concentrate in the vial rather than distributing throughout. Be sure you're in excellent lighting with white backdrop, etc. 

Assuming that the test is consistent, and all is being done properly . . . now what could the cause be? Nitrate is the landing stage for the nitrogen cycle so perhaps (1) a bacterial colony has somehow "boomed." (2) It's possible that there's a bit more ammonia in your source water, that's getting cranked through the nitrogen cycle, leading to increased nitrate. (3) Maybe some of your plants have decided to "take a vacation." Sometimes trimming . . . sometimes algae inhibiting photosynthesis . . . maybe a change in aeration is altering CO2 absorption during daylight. (4) Perhaps a fish or two died, is decomposing, and leading to increased Ammonia > Nitrate buildup. 

(Again, assuming that testing is not the issue) It is helpful to think broadly: what has changed? Lighting? Heat? Aeration? Source water chemistry? Flora? Fauna? Feeding? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

Hi @Hemali -- inferring that your question here is: why are these Nitrate readings changed, since not that much seems to have altered in the stable aquarium?

This can be difficult to diagnose. My first step is always to _retest_ my Nitrates. Not sure exactly what water test you use. Let's assume it's API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Make sure that you're consistent in how well you shake the Nitrate bottles. That second bottle reagent contains crystals that must get properly broken up to provide an accurate reading. So, I shake bottles very well. Then shake the test tube very well. Then wait 5 mins before taking a reading. Always shake briefly before reading, as the color may tend to concentrate in the vial rather than distributing throughout. Be sure you're in excellent lighting with white backdrop, etc. 

Assuming that the test is consistent, and all is being done properly . . . now what could the cause be? Nitrate is the landing stage for the nitrogen cycle so perhaps (1) a bacterial colony has somehow "boomed." (2) It's possible that there's a bit more ammonia in your source water, that's getting cranked through the nitrogen cycle, leading to increased nitrate. (3) Maybe some of your plants have decided to "take a vacation." Sometimes trimming . . . sometimes algae inhibiting photosynthesis . . . maybe a change in aeration is altering CO2 absorption during daylight. (4) Perhaps a fish or two died, is decomposing, and leading to increased Ammonia > Nitrate buildup. 

(Again, assuming that testing is not the issue) It is helpful to think broadly: what has changed? Lighting? Heat? Aeration? Source water chemistry? Flora? Fauna? Feeding? 

35 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

You may also want to check your tap water. I sometimes get non-zero nitrate readings right out of the tap. Gorgeous tank, btw!

Thank you for responding! Using a new api master test kit. I vigorously shake the second nitrate bottle for over a minute. Then add 10 drops of bottle one, shake vile a little to mix, add 10 drops bottle 2, then shake vial vigorously for 1min, then let sit for 5 mins. After 5 mins I read it while placed against the white part of the test result paper with a flash light right on it. 

I keep count of my fish to prevent that and they're all accounted for (Easily done during feeding time). 

Literally I can't think of anything I've changed. I added a new bubbler that adds more bubbles and smaller bubbles, may have changed the lighting. I get algae only on the top leaves of the ludwigia so I assumed the lighting was too strong. Turned down the intensity of light in return increased dim lighting time. I have a current brand light that I can add a fully adjustable sunrise sunset cycle.

I didnt add fertalizer until 5 days ago. I added a dose of easy green 5 days ago and the nitrates have gone up from 30 to 40 if anything. Added more today thinking it maybe that there still isn't enough other nutrients for the plants to fully start take up nitrates and growing.

3 hours ago, FriendlyLoach said:

Yes, I would recommend testing your tap water. Also you could add pothos to the tank to help with nitrates. Love the tank! 

Ive tried to add pathos before but the stem just rotted before it rooted. I think I did it wrong 😅

Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, Hemali said:

I didnt add fertalizer until 5 days ago. I added a dose of easy green 5 days ago and the nitrates have gone up from 30 to 40 if anything. Added more today thinking it maybe that there still isn't enough other nutrients for the plants to fully start take up nitrates and growing.

Was this your first time adding fertilizer, or have you been doing that for months or longer? Fertilizing with easy green will definitely increase nitrates as it has Nitrogen in it, unless your plants consume it all. If anything you could fertilize with something with low Nitrogen to see if that helps your plants consume the nitrates while still growing. And then of course water changes as normal.

2 hours ago, Socqua said:

Was this your first time adding fertilizer, or have you been doing that for months or longer? Fertilizing with easy green will definitely increase nitrates as it has Nitrogen in it, unless your plants consume it all. If anything you could fertilize with something with low Nitrogen to see if that helps your plants consume the nitrates while still growing. And then of course water changes as normal.

It was my first time in that tank. I wasn't sure if easy green has enough to raise the nitrates significantly or if its low enough to barely affect the test. Ill look into nitrogen free fertalizers.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:32 AM, Hemali said:

It was my first time in that tank. I wasn't sure if easy green has enough to raise the nitrates significantly or if its low enough to barely affect the test. Ill look into nitrogen free fertalizers.

It does increase Nitrates. Also, test nitrates before dosing fertilizer. It glitches the test temporarily.