Seed Shrimp (Ostracod) Control

Arc

I "had" a thriving Spec V 5 gallon planted tank with just Cherry Shrimp in it and a snail that was doing great for about 9 months.  Suddenly I started to see these little critters swimming around and they just kept multiplying and multiplying.  They attached themselves to everything, including the snail and shrimp.  Within about 2 months, the shrimp colony collapsed completely and only the snail survived.  I nuked the tank by ripping it apart, scrubing and running it empty with bleach, throwing out the substrate, alum soaking a few plants to keep.

The new tank has been running for about a month with only a snail and a single Amano Shrimp.  Last night I saw a few Ostracods swimming around.  I did read somewhere that their eggs are nearly indestructible and suspect that some survived the alum dip on the plant roots.

So, I need a good suggestion for a tiny fish to control the Ostracods.  At this point, the Amano is adult size and probably won't be threatened.

EDIT: forgot to add that I was probably author of my own demise by over-feeding the Cherry Shrimp, but that isn't the case at all now. 

image036.jpg

image037.jpg

image038.jpg

image039.jpg

image040.jpg

Edited by Arc

22 minutes ago, Colu said:

Maybe try some endler if you just put males in you won't have to worry about the tank becomeing overstock

I know nothing about them.  Are they jumpers (I have an open top right now)?  Will they feed mid & lower levels near the substrate?

On 2/6/2021 at 8:55 AM, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Heterandria formosa! Tiny... o it's the tinyiest and they love seed shrimp. But really I think the majority small shrimp friendly fish will take care of it.

But... things that snipe seed shrimp may take out baby shrimp too.

Unless anyone says "don't do it!", I think I am going to try Norman's Lampeye Killi (Poropanchax Norman).  It's really the only thing that I can get in my area.  There are some reports that they hug the bottom more and don't jump as much (I still need to get a proper lid).

Edited by Arc
Spelling

What I've found is that the seed shrimp in my tank wax and wane. There will be weeks that I see tons of them everywhere, but then I'll go for a month or so and see none. I think *maybe* my guppies eat some of them when they are smaller. So, if I feed sparingly at the right time, the guppies and endlers will snack on them. I guess my timing has been ok on that. I have shrimp too, but I've never seen them *on* the shrimp. I had NO idea they'd do that! I guess I've just been lucky in my ignorance. 

I wish you the best of luck as you restart your tank!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

I have never seen a seed shrimp that I'm aware of. What are they? If I did have any, they'd be called shrimp scampi by my fish. 

Basically little white dots that swim around your tank.  They are small scavenger crustaceans about 1mm that breed in the substrate and eat anything (bacteria, algae, dead stuff).  I had so many that they were all over everything.  My snail didn't appear to mind them latching on, but the shrimp disappeared very quickly.  The photos are from a microscope (my kid took them to school).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have seen my cherry shrimp snacking on them so i don't think they are the cause for the death of your shrimp.They are benificial to the water quality by eating debris and organic matter and work as a convenient snack for passing-by shrimp.Their population starts booming when there is an abundance of food (Likely a result of overfeeding). Having them around means you can overfeed and it won't affect the water quality.When food becomes scarce the shrimp begin hunting and feeding on them and their population goes down.
I overfeed my cherry shrimp ones every 5 days.The shrimp feed on the algal bloom and the ostracoda prevent bacteria from proliferating. This maintains their population.

They are laying eggs on the shrimp/snails .
It does not really bother the snails and the shrimp just pick them of and eat them.