10 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Pakal

Greetings fellow aquarium hobbyists! 

I currently have a 3 gallon Betta Tank and I'm planning to soon upgrade to a 10 gallon. I need stocking ideas! I'm currently thinking of getting some Corydoras as a cleanup crew but other than that I can't really think of any other beginner friendly fish other than guppies and neon tetras. So... Any ideas??? 

Here's a general stocking idea:

• One male betta
  • Around five of any of the following: neon tetra, cardinal tetra, pristella tetra, ember tetra, harlequin rasbora, porkchop rasbora, white cloud mountain minnow, endler's livebearer, guppy.
  • Another four or five of any of the following: pygmy cory, false julii cory, kuhli loach, otocinclus
  • A couple of the following: mystery snail, amano shrimp, nerite snail
  • Lots of live plants (crypts, saggitaria, swordplants, hairgrass, java fern, anubias)

I don't know if this is overstocked or not, but if it is please someone correct me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are my suggestions, if your betta plays nice. My list is a bit like @CorydorasEthan

• Your betta buddy!
  • 6 African Dwarf frogs
  • 1 Reticulated Hillstream Loach
  • Cleanup Crew:  1 mystery snail, 1 amano shrimp, and 2 nerite snails
  • Live Plants:  Dwarf Saggiteria for the carpet,  Crypts for the beauty, an aquarium dwarf lily for a splash of red & to provide shelter for the betta.

This is almost the exact setup I have for one of my tanks.  

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Like 2

Assuming the betta will tolerate tank mates, pygmy corys would be a good option.  In addition to foraging around at the bottom of the tank, like other corys, they also spend a fair amount of time higher in the water column.  I have a dozen or so in my 20 long and really enjoy them.

You mentioned having them as a clean-up crew.  The only cleaning they do is to eat food that gets past the other fish in the tank.  They eat very little, if any, algae, and don't eat any other kind of tank debris.  You probably already know that, but there is a misconception out there that they do more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Here's a general stocking idea:

• One male betta
  • Around five of any of the following: neon tetra, cardinal tetra, pristella tetra, ember tetra, harlequin rasbora, porkchop rasbora, white cloud mountain minnow, endler's livebearer, guppy.
  • Another four or five of any of the following: pygmy cory, false julii cory, kuhli loach, otocinclus
  • A couple of the following: mystery snail, amano shrimp, nerite snail
  • Lots of live plants (crypts, saggitaria, swordplants, hairgrass, java fern, anubias)

I don't know if this is overstocked or not, but if it is please someone correct me.

Quick question but all those fish/invertebrates you listed have around the same water parameters as a Betta right?