pre-covid, what do you miss most?

FrozenFins

Imagine what the hobby was like before coivd, fish clubs were open, lots more fish in stock, lfs were open to the public, etc. Lots have changed in this hobby to accomadate the pandemic. My question what do you miss most from the "old normal".

I miss the fish clubs and the feeling that I wasn't rushed when in a fish store or having to wait in -30C (-22 Farenheit) in a line just to get more fish food.

What do you miss most? 

• Like 1

Funny thing for me is that if not for Covid I might not have set up another tank. I have only had 1 other tank set up since about 1999-2000, and it was just one cichlid in it. But being stuck at home and bored I decided to start up another one.

I do miss fish clubs/shows though, so will be nice when those start back up.

3 minutes ago, Squeegee79 said:

Funny thing for me is that if not for Covid I might not have set up another tank. I have only had 1 other tank set up since about 1999-2000, and it was just one cichlid in it. But being stuck at home and bored I decided to start up another one.

I do miss fish clubs/shows though, so will be nice when those start back up.

Kinda same thing here. I didn't have a tank set up, until COVID. Had a bunch of stuff in my basement, so I didn't have to buy a lot to set it up.

As lame as it sounds, I miss not having to wear a mask inside an LFS. Even though I didn't have a tank set up, I always enjoy going into an LFS just to look around. Even though it's almost a year already, it's still a huge annoyance for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

As lame as it sounds, I miss not having to wear a mask inside an LFS.

This for sure. I sweat pretty easily, and the LFS environment (humid, generally warm) plus a mask over my bearded face is a bad combo. My LFS also seemed to have a much better selection pre-covid, but things are getting a little better now.

I miss the local fish club meetings, auctions, conventions. A couple of clubs did have an outdoor swap meet last fall, I'm hoping they do again this spring or summer.

The LFS I have been to in last several months have had a large stock, I was talking to one owner and at first back in late spring and summer it was hard to get shipments in. But now that planes are flying regularly now it's easier, but shipping costs have gone way up so fish prices have too. 

• Like 1

It seems to me that covid has been a boon for the hobby, and the biggest problem is they can't keep stuff in stock due to both increased ordering and shipping issues. I've seen articles that purchases of pet supplies have gone through the roof since people are home with their pets and getting new ones, and many people who don't want (or cannot have) dogs or cats are looking to fish. I wanted another dog when I retired, but my dog is too picky and spazzy for me to go through the adoption process during covid (it was going to be a rough search anyway - he's friendly but comes off super-aggressive at first due to anxiety). So that's sort of what got me looking at fish more seriously. I order most stuff online, and one nearby chain pet store has free delivery if you order a certain amount. So far my fish have only come from one of two independent LFS's - the key to avoid the largest crowds is to go right when they open and if possible, during mid-week, in my experience. Can't wait for the spring auction, to be held outdoors in April, to see what the local breeders have!!

• Like 1

I have to agree with maggie. John from KG Tropicals mentioned that in one of his videos about how covid has boosted this hobby. No doubt Cory could probably confirm this too. The one thing i miss most is the difference in online purchasing to being in the LFS in person. When it comes to online purchasing i usually already have in mind what i am looking for. Type in the search bar for a specific fish my LFS is out of or doesn't carry, and click check out. When i am at my local LFS its a roll of the dice as to what they have. Sometimes you will find something that you like but have overlooked or not thought about. My pygmy hatchet fish was a prime example. I had some before when i was a child, but when i recently got back into the hobby i hadn't thought about them as a stocking option for my community tank until i spotted some at my LFS. I love pygmy hatchet fish, but the thought just hadn't occurred to me until i saw them swimming around and thought “ Oh yeah, i like those. Gimme 6 of em. “

• Like 1