Hello, from Iowa, I have been keeping yo-yo loaches for about a year now along with kulhi loaches, and over the time I have learned alot about yo-yo and kulhi loaches. And wanted to teach people what I have learned, from tank mates to food. #1 If you are getting yo-yo loaches and kulhi loaches keep them in a 40 gallon long or normall, most people say minium of 20 gallons I agree and disagree with that I keeped my loaches in a 20 long for about a year, and noticed they were getting a bit big for the tank so I moved them to a 40 gallon long and all of my loaches and tetras had major growth spurts. So I would recomend a 40 gallon long or normall for loaches. #2 Alot of people say you shouldnt keep your yo-yo loaches with shrimp and snails, but what I have found is that some shrimp and or snails but I have a single bamboo shrimp and my yo-yo loaches have not bothered him at all, for snails though I dont know if the loaches will bother them or not I havnt had any snails yet but I am hopefully gonna buy some snails. I am going to get some hillstream loaches soon what kind you recomend for my tank set up and how many I should get?

Most hillstream loaches are fairly similar in care requirements from what I've seen. Cory usually recommend that people get 1 hillstream loach or 3+ hillstream loaches; when you get only 2, they may spar with each other. I currently have 3 reticulated hillstream loaches in my 20-gallon tank and there seems to be plenty of food for them to go around. Once my plants started growing in and providing cover, I rarely see them bicker with each other anymore. Very cool fish that doesn't get too big; hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

40027145_20200916_183035All3hillstreamloachesinoneshot.jpg.59a6d703f596b0d7db4f64981750fef8.jpg

Hi Irene, 

Do you have any advice or experience with different types of Hillstream loaches hanging together? I have one spotted right now and want to add two more to my 75 gal tank, but I’m really interested in reticulated. I have read that patterns matter to fish?? but haven’t been able to find info on Hillstream loaches. Thoughts?

Thank you 😊 

30 minutes ago, loach keeper said:

thankyou for the advice could I get two right now then wait to get the other one in a couple weeks

I don’t personally own them but from what I know it would be better to do the opposite get one now and the other 2 in a couple weeks because like @Irenesaid they will Will fight if there is only 2 my brothers fought and killed one