Help with my snails!

MeggersNCat

1 minute ago, lefty o said:

looks like the blue one is trying to get extra friendly, if you know what i mean!

Phew 😅 I was afraid he was hurting goldilocks. She’s was whipping him pretty hard and their wasn’t much left of her in her shell. Ok. I feel better now

Snails are hermaphrodites, that is both male and female at the same time. The gold snail was likely trying to fend the blue snail off from being the male. It's complicated but both snails are competing to be the male as they tryst. It is cheap and easy to be the male with just as many offspring as being the female which requires producing the resources to make all those eggs. So the snails wrestle to see who can be the male.

• Like 1

These snails are definitely trying to reproduce. Since these look like Mystery snails, they are actually a sexually dimorphic species. The males will have a... well, you know. It’s not always visible, but can appear at times. 
Female mystery snails can be fertile for a long time as well. So be prepared to see multiple clutches laid over some time if they are successful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1