Neon tetra and super blue emperor tetra nips beta tail.

Gigi

I started my aquarium since October. So far I always had a trail and error. First I had a 10 gallon aquarium. But because of the build of that aquarium the circulation was so bad my fish got ick all the time while my water was perfect. In that time I had 6 neon tetras and 5 super blue emperor tetras and they left my beta alone just fine. I now have put them into a new aquarium of 15 gallon but in the beginning I noticed they had not enough air. So I removed the lid and bought an air stone but it was to late for 3 blue emperor tetras and a neon. In these last few days I noticed my betta had huge fin tears. And now I saw the tetras nipping at them. My betta is just to nice to say to back off and I really don't know what to do anymore. Soon he will have no tail left and I was wondering what am I doing wrong? Any advice will help... I also don't know anyone who can take fish I have and store won't take Em back. I also spend so much money now that another aquarium can't help me now... 

16100586744775794900061800725214.jpg

Edited by Gigi

What are your water parameters? I wonder if it's fin rot and the tetras are eating dead bits, I've seen that happen. Can you provide more details of your tank, filtration, heat, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, hardness, pH, feeding, anything else.

I don't think it is fin rot since the rest of my fish are fine. Filtration might be an issue but I've upgraded it today to an external oase filter. My ph and ammonia are fine, nitrate is a bit on the higher side but I keep an eye on it and change water when needed. I feed in the morning flakes and pellets and in the evening frozen food. My heat I am at 25-26 degrees celcius. It's the same gravel and plants I used and today I have not seen any more chunks out. It's nice and Shiney. I hope this helps? I can't put the beta somewhere else sadly. But they left him alone in the smaller tank. I thought maybe because the tetras are not feeling safe anymore since I lost a few. But I just wanted to be sure and get advice. 

I'm currently having the same problems and here's what I'm doing in my own situation:

I had 1 betta and 9 neons in a 20 gallon. I noticed the betta was having some tail issue and then noticed the tetras nipping on him. I removed my betta into my 5 gallon empty tank and I'm treating him with Maracyn for fin rot and to make sure any wounds on the tail don't get infected.

I have still noticed that now, the neons nip on each other since they don't have the betta to nip on. I had that issue one time in the past and I corrected it by adding more tetras to the tank to "overstock" with tetras which solved the problem.

So whenever I make it out to the store I'm going to get maybe 8-10 more neons and put them in quarantine and then add them to the 20 gallon. When this is done I will add my betta back in when he is all healed up.

I hope this helps and you can try and apply it to your own needs and situation!

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 6:01 PM, devind0446 said:

I'm currently having the same problems and here's what I'm doing in my own situation:

I had 1 betta and 9 neons in a 20 gallon. I noticed the betta was having some tail issue and then noticed the tetras nipping on him. I removed my betta into my 5 gallon empty tank and I'm treating him with Maracyn for fin rot and to make sure any wounds on the tail don't get infected.

I have still noticed that now, the neons nip on each other since they don't have the betta to nip on. I had that issue one time in the past and I corrected it by adding more tetras to the tank to "overstock" with tetras which solved the problem.

So whenever I make it out to the store I'm going to get maybe 8-10 more neons and put them in quarantine and then add them to the 20 gallon. When this is done I will add my betta back in when he is all healed up.

I hope this helps and you can try and apply it to your own needs and situation!

Thank you very much! As I did not had an empty tank left I decided to give them away to a good home. The fin is now healing and the beta is feeling more comfortable. It looks quite empty now. But I will first do more research before adding stock again. As this is my first tank I don't want to make more problems. Thank you very much for the advice!