Hi Everyone~

Another question. The top that came with my aquarium, I absolutely despise. I have ordered a new glass one that has a seam half way to make it easier to do stuff without taking the entire hood off. 

When your water levels drop below the black line, do you top off your tanks once in a while? Using the SeaChem with the tap water, and just top to the black line (the line below the black top frame)?

Thank you !

21 minutes ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

Hi Everyone~

When your water levels drop below the black line, do you top off your tanks once in a while? Using the SeaChem with the tap water, and just top to the black line (the line below the black top frame)?

Thank you !

I do top off my tanks if the water level drops below the rim, but that rarely happens with my only tank with a lid.  I do water changes on it almost every week, and the lid keeps evaporation down enough that I can't remember ever needing to top it off, even if I skip a week of water changes.  Of course it's a 65, so a smaller tank may lose water faster, even with a cover.  My other tanks don't have lids, and I usually top them off at least once each week.

I keep my tanks full up to the black rim, just because I think it looks nicer. I use the same hinged glass tops, and so I really don't get much evaporation. But I do have tanks that never get scheduled water changes, and so they mostly get top offs when I notice the water level has dropped.