Aquasky -Is this light good for growing plants?

Tedrock

Can the Fluval Aquasky LED light provide sufficient light for most plants to flourish?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Fluval Aquasky LED light provide sufficient light for most plants to flourish?

• Yes
    • No

Howdy Nerms,

So I got a 32 gallon Fluval flex for Christmas and my wife loves it! (My tank, but she loves it, two birds right)  The question I have is the Aquasky light seems awful dim with just one light, will my plants flourish.?  There is room for another but I wanted fellow Nerms opinions first.  What can I do in this situation?

Your thoughts are welcome,

Tedrock.

AQUASKY-THUMBMAIL-PROD-CA-EN.png.9c8048e3ca0268ce00ae372da04024d2.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

Lol a win win, that's a great gift. I've read that the aquasky units aren't necessarily designed for growing plants, unlike the 3.0 planted light from Fluval which is amazing at growing plants. But, I'm sure you could still get away with any low light category plants like anubias, crypts, mosses etc.

I'd wager adding a second strip would give you a bit more flexibility in what you can grow. Also I'd personally turn up the red/blue spectrum led's since those are the wavelengths most utilized by plants. 😁

I bought a short aquasky before the shorter planted 3.0 bar became available, and if I were to buy that size of light now I would probably buy a 3.0 or a stingray 1

I mention the stingray because if you turn off the green spectrum (leaving white, blue, and red on) you basically have a dimmable, programmable stingray with a lot of special effect gimmicks that aren't really worth the price tag imo. I'm curious how an aquasky and a stingray would compare with a par meter though.

It'll grow some plants, but if your goal is a high tech setup with difficult plants I don't think I'd double down on a second aquasky, two might be good for more moderate plants, and one should be enough for low lights like java fern, anubias, and crypts to thrive.

• Like 1

I have one on my 29 gal and I like it. The first picture is the day it was planted on November 14, the second picture is today. I don’t really know what I’m doing with the settings but so far so good?

Excuse me, gotta go cut that lily pad now. 😋

7E7F5C2A-157F-4302-9CAC-EEF8E904930B.jpeg.fcf86feced80387b871f6a6f0dd3f751.jpeg
2C356E50-E353-4C29-8A48-968D3B6F6A70.jpeg.8d85ec00a1aab37b6e44f18a6d4312db.jpeg

DD579A5C-6A7B-4B5A-AB8D-9D71A9FA6DAA.png.e4de9bbf90b69d3841186cbbf9b1a3c5.png

• Like 1

I have 2 aqua sky lights, one on a 20 gal long and one on a 10 gal. All the plants I have are specifically low light and they’re growing great (also with easy green). I even have spacers for both tanks. The 20 gal long is raised almost 12 inches since the light wasn’t reaching the corners of the tank when it was sitting on the frame. The 10 gal is raised about 4 inches so my floating plants get light in the corners. I have all the settings at 100% for 8 hours, with 1 hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down. Here’s pics of the 2 tanks. The 20 gal is just after trimming my pogo stemon and the 10 is right after I set it up. (Currently the water wisteria is growing like crazy!)

9592AA98-28D8-4A14-9A5F-FF9918C4BA6C.jpeg

3FA24C0E-6181-43DF-BE61-CC6C0A22033F.jpeg

• Like 1