Mini-Pond Setup Considerations

Axle86

I'm planning on setting up a mini-pond this spring once the weather warms up. I was given a kidney bean shaped pond which I estimate hold about 50-60 gallons.

So far I have the pond filled with water and purchased some caribsea flora max and crushed coral. I have pretty soft, slightly acidic well water, so hoping the crushed coral and substrate help raise the pH and add hardness as my understanding that guppies prefer harder water higher pH. Do correct me if I am wrong on any of that, haven't added anything to the pond other than water.

My next step is to run airline from inside (hopefully) to a sponge filter. May consider adding a heater just to help keep it from getting too low at the beginning and end of the season. The pond is partially buried but we're talking about 12-16". So that means by the end of the end of the season I'll need something else to keep the guppies (and perhaps their fry if this all goes according to plan) in at the end of the season, so I'm thinking indoor mini-pond. Definitely will have to find a source for plants (guppy grass, water lilies, etc) perhaps that sort of stuff is out of season?

I just want to make sure I'm not going down the wrong path, or missing some important steps or other things I need to consider. This will be my first pond and first time keeping guppies. 

20201212_131957.jpg

Big thing with a pond that shallow - have you decided what you're going to do to protect the fish from predators? Birds, raccoons, and things like that can take a heavy toll on fish. I'm not sure what critters are in your area, but guaranteed, you'll have to contend at least with some sorts of birds.

I've seen online videos showing ponds covered in netting to keep birds away. If you have more than birds to contend with, you might need to get more creative. A friend here at home had to deal with herons and other birds when she had her pond. She said the only other annoyance she had was the water drawing javelina, which are the reason she finally drained the pond and filled it in out of concern for her dogs ending up in a conflict with the javelina.

I did consider, before being given this pond, to go with a stock tank which I can get from a feed store. Looks like the depth on the 100 gallon stock tanks are about 31" and the depth of the pond I was able to measure about 18" in the deepest section. I did look up the pond I have and appears 50 gallons is the capacity. The larger stock tanks do get a bit deeper.

So if given the option would it be better to go with a stock feeder tank for the extra depth (if not overall capacity) versus trying to fortify the kidney bean pond? I am also assuming that floating plants like water lilies, water hyacinth, guppy grass, duckweed and so on would also provide some protection and cover from predators? Is it standard practice to keep a screen of some sort over a pond?

I don't have screens or predator protection over my ponds, but I do have quite a bit of floating plants. I haven't noticed any predation on the fish (or anything else) in the ponds. I live in a rural area about 2500 ft from a Great Blue Heron rookery. I have had otters prey on fish in the creek just down the hill from my fish pools, but not the fish in my pools.

Like @Streetwise I had a unlucky squirrel that came for a drink in one of my Brute trash cans used for fairy shrimp and drowned. Since then I have placed branches in any container with water so that anything that wants out can get out.

• Like 4

What zone do you live in? Full sun is fine unless you live in an area that gets very hot, the black tub will heat up in the sun even though it is partially buried, its not necessarily a problem just throwing it out as a consideration.

Also for predatory and guppies, your real fear is dragonfly larva, the best way to prevent them is to add a screen over the top of the pond which will obstruct your view so maybe just keep a close eye out for that.

• Like 1

@GardenStateGoldfish If you're referring to climate zones as shown on here https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/climates I am between C & D (western NC mountains). It can get quite hot during the summer, although last year it never got above 93 but normally we have days were it can approach the 100 mark. If I remember correctly 2012 we had 3 104 F days in a row...but that's atypical. The location of the kidney bean pond should see sun from mid morning to late afternoon during the summer. Once the end of October gets here will probably mark the end of the season as far as keeping fish outside... 

Being a smaller pond (50 gallon) I do wonder if going with one of the larger stock tanks would be better to reduce temp swings? Since it will be under direct sunlight for several hours. Once summer gets here overnight temps usually don't fall below 68 F between June and August.

Also good heads up on the dragonfly larvae, never knew that would be a problem and we do have some dragonflies. Also good advice @Streetwise about having ways to keep critters from falling in and drowning, that would be bad and likely to go unnoticed for too long.

• Like 2

50 gallons should be fine for temp, I mean it can happen but this summer o had a 35 gallon tub pond and it was fine. I suggest getting a copy of Dr. Ted coletti's tub pond handbook book on amazon, amazing info and its super cheap, 3 dollars I think, has everything you need to know for smaller sized ponds, predators, location, filtration, plants etc.