Honey Gourami : Solo, duo or trio?

Karen B.

I have a 20 gallons high. Currently stocked with 8 false julii corydoras and 2 nerita. Am looking to add about 12 green neon tetra and 1 ou 2 ou 3 honey gourami.

I read they are social fishes and enjoy each other company but I also read there is a lot of hierarchy and agression going on. I don’t want any agression in my tank but, at the same time, I want my fishes to thrive. Any tips or advice? What are your experience on the matter?

thank you

Karen

We just added 6 honey gourami to our 55 gallon. They are really beautiful as a group. They occasionally shoal, which is amazing to watch. I'd go with at least 3, if not more. They've been peaceful for us so far, but I do think they are still juveniles.

I'm running 3 in a 29, Stephen said it best. They can be way too shy for their own good. Gotta make sure they get some food, especially if there are more active fish in the tank. The more cover they have, the more they will be out and about. 

I use frozen baby brine often to make sure they are getting fed, alongside the Xtreme Flakes.