Wires! Everywhere ! How do you Organize ?

demicent

Sooooo many wires.  How do you organize them?  Any photos you would share?  I'm being careful to include drip loops.  How do you dress your mess?

Currently my power supplies are on the lower shelves of the aquarium stands.  All of my tanks are in my living areas.  I could hang the strips from the wall behind the tanks and count on my tank backdrops to help hide them, I suppose.  But they would be harder to reach when I want to turn off the filters and heaters for water changes.  Is it safe to bundle up the wires and use twist ties or zip ties ?  Is it safe to zig zag the wires into a bunch (like they come with a new item)?

Any suggestions?  Thanks

• Like 1

I always coil or figure 8 them with twist ties, leaving the extra wire at the bottom of the drip loop when I have enough room to do so. Velcro tie wraps can be a better option than zip ties because you can take them off when you want to rearrange or replace something. I find any time I zip tie them, it looks cleaner, but that's when I decide to change something.

• Like 1

Using zip ties won't hurt anything, but you mentioned turning off heaters and filters during water changes.  I don't know if you're interested, but I have all my heaters low enough (even if they're very near horizontal) that they stay below the water during water changes, and my HOB intakes also stay in the water, so I never turn anything off.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 3

The closest thing that I have to organization is writing the name of the device on the power strip so I know which plug powers what ie: HTR, HOB, UGF, PH1...  The strip are all screwed to the bottom of the shelf or high enough to provide natural drip loops.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 6:23 PM, demicent said:

But they would be harder to reach when I want to turn off the filters and heaters for water changes

I've been using mounting zip ties lately along with velco straps. For turning on and off all my equipment on all my tanks I use outlet switches on anything I need to switch off/on.

image.png.a0f9305511b39ca2e6250ded4372a3c9.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MickS77 said:

I've been using mounting zip ties lately along with velco straps. For turning on and off all my equipment on all my tanks I use outlet switches on anything I need to switch off/on.

image.png.a0f9305511b39ca2e6250ded4372a3c9.png

this is a good idea.

i just hide my cords i will do some cable management on my big tank but other than that i'm not going to bother

• Like 1