Quarantine meds trio makes water cloudy?

Karen B.

Yes, the medication will play allllll kinds of havoc with your water parameters. You have to just monitor it and make sure the ammonia and/or nitrites don't get out of hand. When I did the med trio in a small 5-gallon, I didn't have any trouble. Just did the water change after 7 days and all was well. However, when I treated my 55-gallon with a different med (Levamisole), after the 2nd dose, the water cycle completely collapsed. I had to go through lots of cloudy days and mannnnny water changes to get it back to normal.

So...keep an eye on your parameters. Do small water changes if necessary. Don't feed the fish for at least 3 days, if not longer, so they don't foul the water even further. It will all be worth it when you come out of the treatment with healthy, robust, beautiful fish to add to your tanks. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I did the med trio for the 1st time in 3 tanks based on one of the Aquarium Coop videos or blog posts to treat fish that haven't been treated before. Two got cloudy for sure. I can't remember on the 3rd. They cleared up by the end of the 7 days, I think on day 4 or 5. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JaredL said:

Not positive, but I think the Maracyn(or API General Cure depending on what you're using) can cause cloudy water. Hopefully some more people chime in. Did you test your water parameters after cloudiness began?

Will do so right now, thanks!

5 minutes ago, ChemBob said:

I did the med trio for the 1st time in 3 tanks based on one of the Aquarium Coop videos or blog posts to treat fish that haven't been treated before. Two got cloudy for sure. I can't remember on the 3rd. They cleared up by the end of the 7 days, I think on day 4 or 5. 

Thank you, I feel reassured!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brian P said:

@Cory also recommends running an air stone while you are treating the tank if you aren’t already.  It helps the fish breathe better, as the meds can make it harder for them sometimes.

Yup! I have an airstone already and I increased the flow a little bit to compensate 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m having the same issue. I’m nervous that while I let the trio meds marinade for a week are causing an ammonia spike when I added new fish. Do I test & water change if so, or just let it  continue the next couple of days. I know the parameters will be wonky, just don’t know if I need to act during chemical quarantine?

4 hours ago, Benniboop said:

I’m having the same issue. I’m nervous that while I let the trio meds marinade for a week are causing an ammonia spike when I added new fish. Do I test & water change if so, or just let it  continue the next couple of days. I know the parameters will be wonky, just don’t know if I need to act during chemical quarantine?

I did not get an ammonia spike but a nitrite spike. My train of toughts was that if I do a water change, I will lose the med recommended concentration so I treated with Prime every 48 hours (it binds ammonia and nitrite for 48 hours) for a week. I did not lose any fish, thankfully!!

• Like 1