Show me your submersible light photos!

CanadaAmanda

I am setting up a column tank that I think would benefit from a submersible light.  I'd love to see some photos of your submersible lights for ideas on how to make use of them, what sort of size, whether to go all white or white/blue or the colour changing ones.

If you have any tips or traps to share on using a submersible light, I'd appreciate those too!

Here is a tank with two suction cup mounted white-blue submersible lights in addition to the main light which is hidden inside the tank lid. Currently the tank has no plants in it but it had before, and also had lights of other colors. Some observations:

• algae really like to grow on the lights, regardless the color (see the green spots on the picture). 
  • fish like to peck on the algae and move the lights around (see the small light on the right, it's never in correct position) 
  • white, yellow-white, white-blue LEDs are good if there are plants in the tank. Green plants look horrible with red lights but red plants really pop. 

763513869_submersiblelights.jpg.8cd5b30dd7ac0bede2ee3d8c861228f0.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fonske said:

Here is a tank with two suction cup mounted white-blue submersible lights in addition to the main light which is hidden inside the tank lid. Currently the tank has no plants in it but it had before, and also had lights of other colors. Some observations:

• algae really like to grow on the lights, regardless the color (see the green spots on the picture). 
  • fish like to peck on the algae and move the lights around (see the small light on the right, it's never in correct position) 
  • white, yellow-white, white-blue LEDs are good if there are plants in the tank. Green plants look horrible with red lights but red plants really pop. 

763513869_submersiblelights.jpg.8cd5b30dd7ac0bede2ee3d8c861228f0.jpg

Excellent, thanks for the tips!  I have a red plant to plant in the tank, the underside of the leaves are a beautiful pinky/purple colour, they look beautiful even under a desk lamp, so hopefully just being lit from below/beside will help them shine, even if it's not red light.

Is the WEIPRO a UV sterilizer?

10 minutes ago, CanadaAmanda said:

I have a red plant to plant in the tank, the underside of the leaves are a beautiful pinky/purple colour, they look beautiful even under a desk lamp, so hopefully just being lit from below/beside will help them shine, even if it's not red light.

Even light from the top might help, I had some reddish ludwigia and the leaves that were close to the (white) lights looked very pretty. 

Yes, the Weipro thing is a UV filter/sterilizer. 

• Like 1

I agree with @Fonske about the algae. I need to wipe mine off every time I do a water change or else they turn very green.

One thing I like about them is that I don’t lose light to reflection off the water surface so more of it reaches my plants. 

Here are some pictures of my 55 gallon. The light in the back is all white and the ones in the front are white + blue. I apologize for the tank’s horrrrible background. It’s temporary—I’m working on an upgrade.

9A854340-8472-4E28-AF61-5225F5252E68.jpeg

1117D649-09CB-4B0B-8450-930D11A5567C.jpeg

C7B37B68-EBC0-4902-A844-ABDAB40481C1.jpeg

772C87CC-ADE9-4F80-BE44-511E60ED1534.jpeg

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 1