Any fish for a 3 gallon?

Justnotrook

I’m getting my mother a 3 gallon kit for her new office, but she says she wants fish. Already told her I’m pretty sure you can only fit shrimp or snails in there, but she wants a fish. I’m wondering if there are any tiny nano fish that can somehow fit in the tank and live comfortably?

On 10/4/2024 at 9:28 AM, Tony s said:

Do you already have it or is it too late? Maybe you can upgrade to a 5? If she has space for a 5, a single showy betta would be a great gift 

I second this, if possible upgrade to a 5 or 10 gallon. She would love a single betta. They have so much personality and they are interactive.

https://bettasquadusa.com/collections/male-bettas

Bettasquadusa has a good selection of bred Bettas and really good reviews

• Like 3

Heterandria formosa / least killifish. There’s also another fish called indostomus paradoxus/crocrodilus but only get this fish if you’re willing to culture live food for them because they’re a micro predator and will not eat pellets/flakes

Edited by knee
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/4/2024 at 9:44 AM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Betta fish need at least 5 gallons of water to be happy.

My betta was so upset in a 5 gallon, he was always chewing his tail off. He stopped doing that when I moved him to a 10gallon.

Maybe kuhli loach for a 3 gal.

Also worth mentioning that water chemistry takes drastic swings in smaller tanks. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Here’s a video just in case.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

I am keeping two male guppies in a small tank. They were too aggressive with the females so I put them in there “temporarily” almost a year ago. They are doing great.

I know every fish would do better in a bigger tank, but with the correct maintenance the volume of a tank isn’t as important as we make it out to be. Meaning 2 male guppies in a 10 gallon tank that you way over feed and never do water changes on could be worse then a 3 gallon. 

Just my 2 cents 

• Like 1

There is actually a 3 gallon long tank that I've seen online that was said to be 48x4x4. I can definitely see way more options for fish in a tank like  that verses the one that is linked above.  

With that said....if I'm going to devote 4 feet to a tank,  it's gonna be a 75 or 90 gallon.  

For a 3-gallon tank, you're pretty limited in terms of fish because it's a small space, but there are still some cool options.

1. Betta fish: Probably the most popular choice for a small tank. Bettas are colorful, have loads of personality, and are pretty low-maintenance. Just make sure it’s one Betta per tank—they don’t play well with others of their kind.

2. Snails: Not technically fish, but a great addition to a tiny tank. Nerite snails or mystery snails are fun to watch and help keep the tank clean by munching on algae.

3. Shrimp: Ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp are super small and add a fun, active vibe to the tank. Plus, they’re good at keeping things tidy.

4. Small invertebrates: If you're open to something different, some people go for tiny crabs or dwarf frogs. They don't need tons of space and add a bit of variety.

Edited by ethangoldberg

On 10/4/2024 at 5:45 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My betta was so upset in a 5 gallon, he was always chewing his tail off. He stopped doing that when I moved him to a 10gallon.

Maybe kuhli loach for a 3 gal.

Also worth mentioning that water chemistry takes drastic swings in smaller tanks. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Here’s a video just in case.

Yes. I wouldn’t be a fish keeper without it.