Splash less bleach

goodjobchamp

On 9/17/2024 at 12:14 PM, goodjobchamp said:

So I was rinsing out some gravel I got from tractor supply and I was gonna end with a little bleach and a few more rinses but I noticed it bubbled and kept bubbling! I almost got the bubbling gone but I found out I used splash less bleach. Should i throw out the gravel or will it end up being ok?

I personally wouldn't risk it and toss out the gravel. Clorox has a brand like that. 

• Like 1

If you can rinse it sufficiently and repeatedly, then soak it with tons of dechlorinator for 24 hours, then rinse copiously again, then soak with dechlorinator again, then rinse copiously again, you should be able to use it.  Rinsing through a sieve would be the best way to rinse since that will best remove the bleach.

Were you worried about something in particular that made you reach for the bleach?  I’m trying to remember if I’ve ever used bleach on gravel and can’t say that I remember trying it and I’ve been keeping fish for decades.  I’ve bleached rocks trying to get rid of algae, but can’t remember ever bleaching gravel.  That said, gravel is just small rocks, so you should be able to rinse it well enough, then soak in high doses of dechlorinator followed by more rinsing and soaking if you think the gravel is worth the labor.  If the gravel was cheap enough, I would honestly consider just buying more and tossing the contaminated gravel.  I guess it mostly depends on your budget.

• Like 2

I'm with @Odd Duck on this one, rinsing it will be fine. There are very few applications in aquarium keeping you can consider using bleach, but when you do you just have to be diligent about rinsing. For most things soap and water, vinegar and water or simply rinsing is fine. The only appication you HAVE to use bleach I can think of is when you use Purigen you have to use bleach to reactivate it, and as long as you are careful you should never have an issue. 

• Like 2

I got other rocks and other substrate supplies from tractor supply before and the amount of stuff that comes off it just made me feel like at the end hit it with some bleach but with this 2nd batch im just rinsing it out really good. Nothing in particular made me want to bleach it other than introducing something to the tank, maybe im just being a bit too paranoid. I do agree im sure if i rinse it enough it will be ok but I have already spent alot of time and it still has suds. @Odd Duck

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 8:43 AM, goodjobchamp said:

I got other rocks and other substrate supplies from tractor supply before and the amount of stuff that comes off it just made me feel like at the end hit it with some bleach but with this 2nd batch im just rinsing it out really good. Nothing in particular made me want to bleach it other than introducing something to the tank, maybe im just being a bit too paranoid. I do agree im sure if i rinse it enough it will be ok but I have already spent alot of time and it still has suds. @Odd Duck

I can understand that.  I think we get a bit paranoid sometimes and overdue things out of worry.

I’ve never had the sudsing issue when I accidentally got splashless bleach back when I was bleaching plants (before Reverse Respiration was a thing).  It makes me think there might have been some soap contamination?  Maybe try vinegar soak since that will cut soap suds and won’t hurt your gravel or the tank after appropriate rinsing.  Use about a cup of white vinegar per gallon of water, then rinse very well and see if the sudsing clears.

Alternately, try the soak in dechlorinator for 24 hours and then see what happens with the sudsing.  I was rinsing plants under running water, then soaking them in strong dechlorinator (about 10 times normal dose / double high end dose) before rinsing again in tap water, then planting.  Maybe the dechlorinator will neutralize the bleach enough to finally make it rinse out.

• Like 1

Some points on splashless bleach.

#1 It is far less potent than regular bleach.  Which is why many of htem will say not suitable for sanitation of disinfecting. 

#2 The thickening agent/surfucants to reduce splashing are made up a weird mixture of hydrophobic (oil based) and hydrophilic (water based) molecules.   Which can be washed away but may be more difficult to do so than regular straight bleach.   However, it is more prone to cling if their is any sort of grime or dirt left behind.   So to get it washed away you need to make sure whatever ti is on is super clean. 

• Like 1