Best site to sell fish online?

JimmyNineToes

Ebay/Paypal wants your first born child for listing, selling & deposit fees. Aquabid is pretty much dormant, cant sell live animals on FB market place or Craigslist. Are there any other sites to sell fish? Google is pretty much useless when searching for sites to sell your fish.  All of my local fish stores say they already have breeders they buy from & I am not looking to sell to a wholesaler. Should I just make my own website & sell them from there? I am not purposely breeding but its going to be getting to the point that I will have to start offloading some fish as I keep guppy's, shrimp and Mbuna that keep reproducing. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by JimmyNineToes

On 8/27/2024 at 7:02 PM, JimmyNineToes said:

Ebay/Paypal wants your first born child for listing, selling & deposit fees. Aquabid is pretty much dormant, cant sell live animals on FB market place or Craigslist. Are there any other sites to sell fish?

Let me know when you know!

Selling online has been slow for me in 2024 (not really sure why this is different than previous years).

I still get the most sales on Ebay, and yeah, they do take their pound of flesh before paying you out but you just have to factor that into your asking price.

GetGills is the next site that does well for me. Two years ago Aquabid was a pretty hot marketplace, but right now you're right to describe it as dormant.

Vivvy was a good marketplace last year, but they closed up shop pretty fast. 

I've been trying out BAND recently, but the different rules of how to conduct sales differ in confusing ways to me from one Band group to another. 

I really had high hopes for Vivvy, but . . . they crashed and burned.

Good luck!

On 8/27/2024 at 7:14 PM, Woowala said:

The aquaswap sub on reddit would probably get the most views.  

Hadn't thought of reddit. I'll also have to look into that.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Should I just make my own website & sell them from there?

This is probably the hardest route to take because you have to factor in various fees for hosting and then have to figure out how to get traffic to that store.

I have been trying out Shopify lately, but I am using it as a sort of 'aggregator' so that I can link people back to it so all my sales come through one channel.

This is my most recent Aquabid listing as an example --> https://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwapisto&1725156019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:18 AM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

I have used getgiils but I really dislike the fact they don't use paypal. I don't like stripe at all and they'll send you your money on random days.

Totally 10000% agree.

• Like 1

Ebay/Paypal wants your first born child for listing, selling & deposit fees. Aquabid is pretty much dormant, cant sell live animals on FB market place or Craigslist. Are there any other sites to sell fish? Google is pretty much useless when searching for sites to sell your fish.  All of my local fish stores say they already have breeders they buy from & I am not looking to sell to a wholesaler. Should I just make my own website & sell them from there? I am not purposely breeding but its going to be getting to the point that I will have to start offloading some fish as I keep guppy's, shrimp and Mbuna that keep reproducing. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Aquabid is Ok. I have bought and sold plenty there. Site is archaic, but if you’re clever, you’ll figure it out.

Unless you have a rare species of Mbuna, or a high quality Guppy line, you should curb your expectations.

You need to absolutely master shipping too. It’s time-consuming and technical to get just right.

Though still relatively new to the process, I have shipped thousands of fish — often in large groups. Summer is a very bad time to ship in USA.

DM me if you need lots of details. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1