Questions about a small tank project.

finn

Overview

Hello, I am new to creating live-planted aquariums and figured this would be a great place to ask questions!

I have found a nice starter tank kit from PetSmart that I am considering purchasing. It is around 3 gallons with a small filter and a powerful light. I have read some reviews that were overwhelmingly positive, aside from the usual one or two negatives. (I will attach images below.)

Questions (I apologize ahead of time)

1. The first topic I would love to ask questions about is plants. Which plants should I consider for a small 3-gallon freshwater tank with no CO2? I am trying to stay on budget for this tank build and am planning on using the plantable substrate provided with the tank, as aqua soil can be very expensive. I know that most carpeting plants are out of the question, but I would love them if there were any easy options. I am looking for hardy, durable plants that are very friendly to beginners.

2. Where I live, there is a lot of driftwood in the area that would look nice in a planted aquarium, but I have read that you need to boil the wood or let it soak for over a month. Should I try to figure out how to get tannins out of the driftwood or just buy it from an aquatic store? The same goes for the larger rocks in my build. 

3. What advice would you give for keeping water crystal clear and keeping plants healthy and vibrant?

4. How long should I let my tank cycle before adding plants to the aquarium? I have read to wait at least 3–4 weeks before adding cherry shrimp, which is my ultimate goal; additionally, how many should I add to a tank of this size? This is the correct information. 

Conclusion

Thank you so much for your time. All advice is very much appreciated! 💙

Screenshot 2024-06-27 185746.png

Screenshot 2024-06-27 185852.png

• Like 1

I add my plants right away.  They usually love the extra nutrients from the cycling process. 
I use Christmas moss in leu of carpet plants. It spreads and gets bushy. I could not grow a true carpet plant if my life depended on it. Anubias nana and Java fern are also very easy  and can be appropriate size for that tank. 
Here is an amazing thread covering safe woods, rocks and most safe materials in general 

Crystal clear water comes with time and the tank seasoning.  After your cycle is complete you can also use purigen in your filter. It always makes water sparkle. 

Yes you need to feed shrimp 3-4 times a week but not much. They need a complete balanced diet like every other living thing.

Vegetables and any fish food work great. Fry foods especially so it spreads about but “disappears” from sight as well as vegetables 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I add plants right away as well. It helps the cycle actually. To answer number one, the best beginner friendly plants I know of are these. Java fern, marimo moss ball, is actually known as the #1 easiest plant to take care of. Also, anubais, and the easiest carpeting plant that i have tried, is micro sword. It looks like grass, and is very hardy. Every plant above only needs a liquid fertilizer tho, not the marimo moss ball, but the java fern and micro sword and anubias will most likely use the ferts. I use aquarium coops easy green all in one fertilizer. Plants will need these nutrients to thrive. Those are just a few plants above. 

As far as driftwood goes, spiderwood does not release tannins into water and does not have to be boiled. It is the best driftwood imo. You can get it at petsmart as well.

A fully cycled tank will be the best thing for crystal clear water. Just like what @Guppysnail has mentioned above. Hope this helps! 

• Like 4

On 6/28/2024 at 8:14 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

I add plants right away as well. It helps the cycle actually. To answer number one, the best beginner friendly plants I know of are these. Java fern, marimo moss ball, is actually known as the #1 easiest plant to take care of. Also, anubais, and the easiest carpeting plant that i have tried, is micro sword. It looks like grass, and is very hardy. Every plant above only needs a liquid fertilizer tho, not the marimo moss ball, but the java fern and micro sword and anubias will most likely use the ferts. I use aquarium coops easy green all in one fertilizer. Plants will need these nutrients to thrive. Those are just a few plants above. 

As far as driftwood goes, spiderwood does not release tannins into water and does not have to be boiled. It is the best driftwood imo. You can get it at petsmart as well.

A fully cycled tank will be the best thing for crystal clear water. Just like what @Guppysnail has mentioned above. Hope this helps! 

Thank you so much for the help with the plants! How often do you dose the water with easy green and how much would I use to dose a 3-gallon tank, as the instructions say 1 mL per 10 gallons? Do you think the tank is suitable for what I am trying to accomplish?

On 6/28/2024 at 6:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

I add my plants right away.  They usually love the extra nutrients from the cycling process. 
I use Christmas moss in leu of carpet plants. It spreads and gets bushy. I could not grow a true carpet plant if my life depended on it. Anubias nana and Java fern are also very easy  and can be appropriate size for that tank. 
Here is an amazing thread covering safe woods, rocks and most safe materials in general 

Crystal clear water comes with time and the tank seasoning.  After your cycle is complete you can also use purigen in your filter. It always makes water sparkle. 

Yes you need to feed shrimp 3-4 times a week but not much. They need a complete balanced diet like every other living thing.

Vegetables and any fish food work great. Fry foods especially so it spreads about but “disappears” from sight as well as vegetables 

Thank you so much for your help! Opinions on the tank?

• Like 1

When dosing easy green you may want to wait until the cycle is complete using traditional cycle methods. During the cycle there is a lot of excess nutrients.  I notice when using traditional cycle methods folks adding fertilizer through the process tend to grow a plethora of algae. 

This video shows the best method I have found to season a tank for shrimp and plants and allow for optimal plant growth.  This allows for food shrimp depend on to survive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2024 at 10:50 AM, Guppysnail said:

When dosing easy green you may want to wait until the cycle is complete using traditional cycle methods. During the cycle there is a lot of excess nutrients.  I notice when using traditional cycle methods folks adding fertilizer through the process tend to grow a plethora of algae. 

This video shows the best method I have found to season a tank for shrimp and plants and allow for optimal plant growth.  This allows for food shrimp depend on to survive. 

Thank you again! I have found the plants that I think may look nice including java fern, micro sword, and Taxiphyllum (spiky moss).

• Like 2

On 6/28/2024 at 9:48 AM, finn said:

Thank you so much for the help with the plants! How often do you dose the water with easy green and how much would I use to dose a 3-gallon tank, as the instructions say 1 mL per 10 gallons? Do you think the tank is suitable for what I am trying to accomplish?

Agree with @Guppysnail here. 

On 6/28/2024 at 10:50 AM, Guppysnail said:

But for the dosing. AC has a 120ml bottle made for nano tanks. It is measured by drops. Here is a link to it. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/plant-supplies/products/easy-green-all-in-one-fertilizer?variant=40139624513605

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

One last question I forgot to ask is: Where should I get my cherry red shrimp when my tank is eventually ready? I heard ordering them online can be a bad idea, but I only have one aquarium store that sells them, and they charge $95 for 10 cherry red neocaridina shrimp, which is insane!

Edited by finn
  • Like 1

aquabid, is my reccomendation. Agree with @Guppysnail.

On 6/28/2024 at 4:58 PM, finn said:

One last question I forgot to ask is: Where should I get my cherry red shrimp when my tank is eventually ready? I heard ordering them online can be a bad idea, but I only have one aquarium store that sells them, and they charge $95 for 10 cherry red neocaridina shrimp, which is insane!

On 6/28/2024 at 4:58 PM, finn said:

Shrimp ship pretty well, so ordering online shouldn't be a problem, depending on how hot it is where you live and when you order.

That said, check to see if there is a local aquarium club near you. ACO has a listing here: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/apps/store-locator

Clubs often rub auctions that might have shrimp, so you could get a very good deal. And if not, it will almost definitely have people who know local breeders, and local breeders are likely working with similar water to yours, which should make the acclimation of your new shrimp easier.

Plus aquarium clubs are full of fish nerds -- nerms, as we call them here -- so they can be a lot of fun.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/28/2024 at 8:06 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Shrimp ship pretty well, so ordering online shouldn't be a problem, depending on how hot it is where you live and when you order.

That said, check to see if there is a local aquarium club near you. ACO has a listing here: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/apps/store-locator

Clubs often rub auctions that might have shrimp, so you could get a very good deal. And if not, it will almost definitely have people who know local breeders, and local breeders are likely working with similar water to yours, which should make the acclimation of your new shrimp easier.

Plus aquarium clubs are full of fish nerds -- nerms, as we call them here -- so they can be a lot of fun.

I belong to 3 clubs. I’ve seen bags of every color shrimp sell 10 shrimp for $10. You can’t beat fish club auction prices. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/28/2024 at 8:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

I belong to 3 clubs. I’ve seen bags of every color shrimp sell 10 shrimp for $10. You can’t beat fish club auction prices. 

I've seen bags of plants sell for $5 that had cherry shrimp in them as hitchhikers. Did the plant seller know? Did the buyer know? Again, no idea. But someone got free shrimp!

• Haha 4

Look on Aquarium Co Ops website for more easy plant ideas in thr “help center”. Has tons of great advice for everyone starting out 🙂

Good choice shrimp tank! Some other easy plants would be any crypt variety, Pearlweed, and dwarf sag! Best of luck!

• Like 3

On 6/28/2024 at 8:06 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

There is an aquarium club not that far from where I live I'll check it out!

• Love 2

Update: I purchased the aquarium kit earlier than I thought I would, but it was on a heavy discount, which only made the kit $45. The next step is rocks and wood for my aquarium build. I have some rocks outside that I may wash off and do the vinegar test to see if they bubble. Now for the driftwood, I may hold off on it as it intimidates me. The last and major point is which plants I should look to purchase. I have been given many good options, but which three should I go with as I am only looking to purchase three to start? I am thinking that Java Fern is a given, but which other two would look nice in my tank?

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 9:43 PM, finn said:

Update: I purchased the aquarium kit earlier than I thought I would, but it was on a heavy discount, which only made the kit $45. The next step is rocks and wood for my aquarium build. I have some rocks outside that I may wash off and do the vinegar test to see if they bubble. Now for the driftwood, I may hold off on it as it intimidates me. The last and major point is which plants I should look to purchase. I have been given many good options, but which three should I go with as I am only looking to purchase three to start? I am thinking that Java Fern is a given, but which other two would look nice in my tank?

You will find as many different answers to that as people answering, I think. Java fern is a good choice. If I could only do two more, I'd choose a shorter crypt, probably Cryptocoryne wendtii. I was origi thinking an anubias, probably Anubia nana, since I'm assuming it'll be a relatively low-powered light, but with shrimp, you might be better off with Java moss, since shrimp love moss. And I'll cheat and pick a floating plant, too: Salvinia minima.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 ML =20 drops = 20 drops of Easy Green per 10 gallons, = 2 drops per gallon.

After it is cycled, your plants might need a little more, or a little less.  As mentioned in the video let your eyes be your guide. 

It looks to be a fun project.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2024 at 9:43 PM, finn said:

Java moss, anubias nana, anubias nana petite, and anubias hastifolia are all great AC plants! All like lower to medium light, no root tabs needed, as it is a rhizome plant. Best to be glued to driftwood. 

• Like 1