Longfin BN Pleco Tank Size

Hello!

I'm thinking about getting a lemon blue-eye pleco, but I'm trying to decide whether or not to get a long-finned variety. The aquarium I have is a 20 long. I was wondering how big the long-finned variety gets & if a 20 long is suitable for them.

Thanks!

Edited by Gliderzz

They're not the most active fish, even at night they just kind of hunt around on the bottom for the most part, until they find some food.  Then they sit there and eat all the food.  Then they poop.  A lot.   They "sleep" pretty much all day.   

I just realized that my teenaged son is in my aquarium.   😩

The filtration will be the problem in a 20long, if there is a problem.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A 20g is the minimum size I’d do for a bristlenose. A 20 long would better than a standard. More area for them to roam in. Much better than the tall. You’d want to add a source of driftwood. They like to munch on that. Otherwise, you should be good. 

• Like 1

Do they actually eat the wood? I've seen conflicting reports... 

My local fish shop feeds them potatoes.  They cut off a big chunk and throw it in, and the plecos eat it down to the skin.  Is good fish.  Like potato.  

• Like 1

From my experience, adult standard fin ancistrus rarely get longer than 5". Longfin ancistrus tend to be 6"-8" long when full grown, with an occasional male getting a little over 8", but I've never had one reach 10". Yes, they do rasp on the driftwood but need algae or veggies for their primary nutrition.

I wouldn't recommend more than 1 in a 20 long.

Edited by Tazalanche
  • Like 3

I've had a female long fin green dragon pleco for about 6 months and they don't seem to grow very fast. She's maybe 2" long in the body, the tail is very long and flowing but I don't know if people include that in the total length. She's in a 37 gallon tall and I rarely see her in the plant jungle unless I go looking. I gave her a cave but she never used it so I eventually took it out. Every now and then I'll get her to eat a wafer or some green beans but I think she gets most of what she needs from the tank algae, drifwood and baby shrimps and snails that she finds. I think a 20 gallon would be fine for a long time if you get a juvenile but you might need to eventually find a bigger home.

When I first put her in and she was nervous the other fish would peck at her fins a bit but once she realized she's bigger than the platys she slaps them around if they start to bother her and now they know to give her room if she's eating.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 3:39 AM, daggaz said:

My local fish shop feeds them potatoes.

Mine feeds zucchini tied to a rock with a rubber band.

On 6/27/2024 at 6:55 AM, doktor zhivago said:

She's maybe 2" long in the body, the tail is very long and flowing but I don't know if people include that in the total length.

Ooh, I know this one! Standard length (SL) is to the start of the caudal fin and total length (TL) includes the fin: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_measurement

• Like 2

My longfin parents body is easily 5 inches include tails 7-8. Mine are in a 40. I tried 20 long but they had no real room. It felt cramped to watch them and they eat so much and produce so much waste nitrates were crazy in a 20 long 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thanks! Yeah, I was a bit concerned they would feel cramped in a 20 long since their fins can get so long. I'll stick with the short-finned variety then. Your plecos are gorgeous by the way! I'll definitely have to get some once I get a bigger tank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2024 at 8:25 PM, Gliderzz said:

Thanks! Yeah, I was a bit concerned they would feel cramped in a 20 long since their fins can get so long. I'll stick with the short-finned variety then. Your plecos are gorgeous by the way! I'll definitely have to get some once I get a bigger tank

When you get your bigger tank drop me a dm. I almost always have babies or juveniles.  These two have been actively breeding for several years and show no sign of slowing. Their one daughter eluded me for so long she became a fixture and has laid her first clutch 🙄🤣 thankfully it was much much smaller than moms 200+ 😲

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

@Gliderzz, keep in mind that an adult male bristlenose can get to a very solid, thick bodied 7”.  They are the biggest fish in my 100 gallon “Nanofish’ tank.  Nanofish because the “free swimmers” are all nanofish.  I have cories and plecos in the tank also.  These big boys make a MESS of the tank!  I would not recommend them for a 20 long.  Maybe consider a smaller species of pleco?  If you like the bristlenose look see if you can find L519’s AKA Kiefner’s.  They are perfect for a 20 long because they only get to 5” max and usually stay about 4.5”.  They have a honeycomb type pattern and are very gentle, perfect for a community tank.  You could even have a pair and breed them in a 20 long if you wanted.

A couple of my baby pics.  The male was impossible to get pics since he was nearly always in a cave.

IMG_5114.jpeg

They’re very young here.  Those are adult scuds beside them.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/27/2024 at 3:39 AM, daggaz said:

Do they actually eat the wood? I've seen conflicting reports... 

My local fish shop feeds them potatoes.  They cut off a big chunk and throw it in, and the plecos eat it down to the skin.  Is good fish.  Like potato.  

They like the cellulose, a lot of the algae wafers bulk with willow bark 

• Like 1