Extreme melt or just dead.

I ordered the Bucephalandra Needle Leaf Tissue Culture from aco. It arrived two weeks ago during that high wave me had. Enough so that the tissue culture gel was melted. Other than that it looked very green and springy. I rinsed it and placed it in the tank. 

Over the next two days all but a couple leaves died off and has been a buffet to my shrimp and guppies. 

Tank is a couple months old with lots of plant growth. I'm dosing easy green twice a week to keep nitrates around 10-20 by coop strip.

Is this going to grow back or is it dead dead.

(This is the point I insert a photo but the aco server falls)

AP1GczMEwddem5rcuUHcL0xQxo_2FVCaXv03dlKjY8fvUdWr6Naq-lggUApUo66gM5Mm4tvVpUrUwQKjxizgaVJQGGV7vqn5bSiWXL0vEGL4I4Gb6xC5vsIa184LhJXQvfLNQQZjl7Ev5wBoTIVEzSkQmPPEHInSGVPT9ni9hD54WMKNCTugiGKtlbRGmdlmuD9CZ_UMz1F3i2aoqwd3RpWzaeD6bWSj46kp9_QDTTsoBpeGhpbJS2EkMioVhJ6KDnkMzpYd0nnHmTE3CJcXsNRXYatMQlOi79pStCTwRyJ1aHLvwzDnhCnV4x-j3uoNfRF_ntljLb99HTuzdvCg-2gMlav38OIIRUXRISr6GozB536lZni9NQ3fLUwAMSgJDv1guMXNnvGcrQnJTgbQq3t3ipFytDbz1xrbEWHu5hOxqUsSynGTUdzRNxjReKd-XqRUp121PBGxQfGpP0cbXkMTJu6KZXDiZ0xO2H71Bsbl0vCirDlg4IxGT1QRWMWdnucVS_Ju40dVlUhCNtTAFFk5mutxCiZ6mLsNKnBZKAiiM1VH-yXqhFWDgA_ejZR29VPiuSdgAxL0KdGTRTewNc-wDg0u_uGXz68zfMUe9FdtV0WWFaZdW2BTS2Zr-PnFszWjv8l-WixyyC7UEVpfc6ITuHWf8TojM99x4LmqGfgmH2phuThPSIttZZO3N6HsEbm5OY4bbLPE-VEjq19XWAkycQtyHfZlNAusAp96PPFAF_za8g9gnXIf3uoMSWdstZuBSnfo4bC0PV7c4rBDWDdaY_WuOk61v2Nj00txcqM71kEFU7noDbuBsNIGhaMABBzdO5rGLBPPb4eQUz-LjYpcmK0GRCbuZzvnlLb1whvSobawllDuxCXNqc1Kaz-GJPBFVOX_SGYZRRHEhQ4z1KKjuQryQ4kO=w1749-h1317-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Edited by Lonkley

• Administrators

@Lonkley unfortunately the photo doesn't come through for me. You can definitely reach out to our customer service with the email and if it looks like it needs replaced we sell. Or if you want to post the photo here, the trick is to keep it under 9.77MB in size. Some phones are taking much larger pictures. But we don't want threads bogged down with big load times from photos.

How odd. I went to my PC and uploaded it and it shows on my phone. 

I don't necessarily need a replacement. Just an id. If this doesn't work I'll resize it at home but it's 1.9mb

Let's try again.

PXL_20240620_153930733.jpg

On 6/20/2024 at 2:56 PM, Lonkley said:

How odd. I went to my PC and uploaded it and it shows on my phone. 

I don't necessarily need a replacement. Just an id. If this doesn't work I'll resize it at home but it's 1.9mb

Let's try again.

PXL_20240620_153930733.jpg

It worked! Looks like rot to me. And might be dying. I have seen severe die offs, but this looks like it is dead. And if the fish are feasting on it, I’d take it out, it doesn’t look great sadly @Lonkley. IMO. Let’s see what everyone else thinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had some pretty remarkable come backs! I feel as long as there is green somewhere in there, I'll remove any obvious dead material and let it be for a while. I've had Crypts take several months to start new growth. I'd say, just be patient, you never know. Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We can rebuild him.  Faster.  Better.  Stronger.   Definitely leave it and let it see if it rebounds.  

One thing you can do, which is adapted from the Reverse Respiration trick for sterilizing plants, is to give it a little bit of a recovery boost:  take it out, and rinse it under cold dechlorinated water.  Be rough enough to manually scrub out any algae, biofilms, and decaying matter.  Plants like it rough when they are down.  Then fully immerse the plant in plain carbonated water, the more fizz the better.  Put some plastic wrap over the container so the CO2 cant escape, but leave a bit of air at the top so there is some oxygen and room for gas exchange.   Leave it in that for 24 hours or more, but leave it in the light right on a windowsill, you can replace the seltzer water if it starts to get cloudy and rerinse the plant if the algae starts to grow again.  I did that for some african ferns for a few days, and brought them back from something that looked about as bad.

Edited by daggaz

On 6/21/2024 at 1:28 AM, daggaz said:

We can rebuild him.  Faster.  Better.  Stronger.   

Omg. You even older than me. 🤣🤣  one of my all time favorite shows 😂 I remember the very first one. I don’t think we missed an episode. 

• Haha 1

It was on Turner's old channel, right before The Incredible Hulk; ie a regular guy who worked out but not too much who got hit with green spray paint.  

I'm also a big fan of Gilligan's Island.  The characters are analogies of the Seven Deadly Sins.  And Gilligan?  Gilligan is Satan, keeping them trapped on that island for all of time.  

• Like 1

Give it time. Patience is needed with plants that die off. 

On 6/20/2024 at 4:24 PM, Plursa said:

I've had some pretty remarkable come backs! I feel as long as there is green somewhere in there, I'll remove any obvious dead material and let it be for a while. I've had Crypts take several months to start new growth. I'd say, just be patient, you never know. Good luck!

I totally agree. Some green not all dead. There is a chance. Good luck @Lonkley.

• Like 1

The Bucephalandra's connnected to the... driftwood!

The driftwood's connected to the... hardscape!

The hardscape's connected to the... glass tank!

And that's when we all fall down!

• Haha 2

On 6/21/2024 at 1:49 AM, daggaz said:

It was on Turner's old channel, right before The Incredible Hulk; ie a regular guy who worked out but not too much who got hit with green spray paint.  

I'm also a big fan of Gilligan's Island.  The characters are analogies of the Seven Deadly Sins.  And Gilligan?  Gilligan is Satan, keeping them trapped on that island for all of time.  

I just want to know where Gilligan and Jonas bought their clothes.  15 years for a single shirt and pants is a long time.

Mary Ann BTW

@Lonkley I've also had some remarkable comebacks with rotting stumps, but keep your options open.

• Thanks 1