Schooling / mid level fish

I know i already asked, but i am still unsure. I will be redoing the stocking in my tank and want to find a fish that will complement the fish i want to keep and will be interesting.

120x50x60 cm tank. Fish that will stay in - 5 pearl gouramis, 4 bolivian rams, some kuhli loaches, otocinclus 

I am looking for a mid level school fish. Something that will not abuse or nip the pearl gourami, will be interesting in behavior.

I used to have ember tetras, do not like them they are lazy and gluttonous and boring. I doubt i will like any similar ones like black neons and lemons and other small lazy fish of the same shape. I have rummynose tetras, they were fun, but i am over it. Also they are sensitive and prone to overeating the food i feed and having issues. I used to have harlequin rasboras for like 6 years so not looking at those or espei. I do not wish to ever keep neon tetras.

Water is ph7, 25 degrees, maybe bit more in summer.

Tip of fish you liked will be appreciated, what were some surprises you liked or enjoyed ?

• Like 2

I know you are like me and enjoy less common fish.  However one of the more common fish I REALLY enjoy are my Rohanella titteya (cherry barbs) 

I grew them out in a 20L with my 6 Bolivian rams.  Everyone is grown up now and totally cramped.  I’m moving them to a 40B as soon as the electric is finished in my new fishroom. 

Even cramped they are totally peaceful.  My Bolivians constantly spawn unmolested.  When the cherry boys fire up the breeding color they are stunning. Internet photos do not do them justice.  

Large enough not to get eaten and always be seen.  Not fearful yet not so boisterous they annoy others. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know you recommended them once already and i was tempted, but then i read about them and they felt small and that they would get lost in the tank. But maybe you are right, i also love how the white cloud minnows interact and they are not large fish and they behave fantastically in a larger tank.

I will do more reading but they are on top of the list.

I also considered other pseudomugil larger ones like gertrudae but i am unsure how they will like the tank size and the pearls. They are not easy

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 6:06 AM, beastie said:

I know you recommended them once already and i was tempted, but then i read about them and they felt small and that they would get lost in the tank. But maybe you are right, i also love how the white cloud minnows interact and they are not large fish and they behave fantastically in a larger tank.

I also considered other pseudomugil larger ones like gertrudae but i am unsure how they will like the tank size and the pearls. They are not easy

My cherry barbs are much larger than my gertrudae.  The gertrudae will get lost faster. My gertrudae are also less front and center than than cb. I have my gertrudae in a 20l.  The colors being more mute I always have to look for them even though they do not hide.  
I’ll take a video of mine for you later.  Please give these a second look. Their personality is interactive with and interesting as well. 

For very tight schooling fish how about brilliant green rasboras. Kind of common, mostly silver. With green and black in the tail. But, so tight schooling, my daughter was playing with them at our lfs. They were following her hand around the tank in formation.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2024 at 6:06 AM, beastie said:

Cherry Barb I have with my Tiger Barbs and that beautiful red on them they don't get lost.  The juvenile are neat looking also.  Check my thread for more fun pictures of Barbs IMG_20240614_154435_659.jpg.374cc1c7e2103a5dbc0b3a0bbaf21791.jpg

• Love 2

On 6/16/2024 at 4:37 AM, beastie said:

I know i already asked, but i am still unsure. I will be redoing the stocking in my tank and want to find a fish that will complement the fish i want to keep and will be interesting.

120x50x60 cm tank. Fish that will stay in - 5 pearl gouramis, 4 bolivian rams, some kuhli loaches, otocinclus 

I am looking for a mid level school fish. Something that will not abuse or nip the pearl gourami, will be interesting in behavior.

I used to have ember tetras, do not like them they are lazy and gluttonous and boring. I doubt i will like any similar ones like black neons and lemons and other small lazy fish of the same shape. I have rummynose tetras, they were fun, but i am over it. Also they are sensitive and prone to overeating the food i feed and having issues. I used to have harlequin rasboras for like 6 years so not looking at those or espei. I do not wish to ever keep neon tetras.

Water is ph7, 25 degrees, maybe bit more in summer.

Tip of fish you liked will be appreciated, what were some surprises you liked or enjoyed ?

I would recommend Lake Kamaka Rainbowfish (4) or Harlequin Rasboras (8). I have both schooling, along with Cherry Tetras (6) in my 55 gallons with my Pearl Gourami, Angelfish, and Bolivian Rams. Besides the occasional chasing by the Pearl Gourami towards the Rainbowfish, they get along peacefully. All three are pretty hardy fish, with the Lake Kamaka variants being more sensitive compared to the others. 

image.jpg

Thanks for your replies.

I dont think congos and pearls are a good combination, and I think my tank is a bit small for congos anyway. They are lovely looking though. If I am completely honest ,the rainbowfish look does not sit well with me, they look like someone blew them up and did not do a good job about it. 

I was recommended the scissortailed rasbora and the brilliant green rasbora and they both look very fun, I will definitelly put them on my someday shoaling fish list!

• Love 1

On 6/17/2024 at 11:59 PM, sumplkrum said:

I don't think they were mentioned: Emporer tetras
It's been a long time since I've had them, but they're pretty cool. I think they'd look pretty nice along side the Pearl Gouramis.

They are fin nippers sadly. A very beautiful fish indeed. I always considered some but it is always limiting and risky to have finnipper fish in a community tank. And def not a good idea to keep with gourami as they have feelers

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 2:12 AM, Lennie said:

They are fin nippers sadly. A very beautiful fish indeed

Which kinds? The standard? Or the bleeding blue, kerri?

Kerri’s would make an interesting choice 

On 6/18/2024 at 8:30 AM, Tony s said:

I’ve had kerri tetra for a few months and they do well with apistos, rasboras, and other tetras

They also spent their qt period with a thicklip gourami and left him alone

Edited by macdaddy36
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 3:30 PM, Tony s said:

Ive seen people complained for both being fin nippers. Probably kerris being mentioned even more

I did see their fin nipping for normal emperors with my eyes and their situation at my LFS too. They did damage even each other A lot

• Like 1