New 20g water EXTREMELY cloudy.

I might be overreacting but the water was crystal clear in my 2 day old 20g, but now this morning it is so cloudy. I am not worried, just wondering what this is.. did I not rinse my sand well enough? Is this new tank syndrome? I was planning on starting cycle today as I have let the tank sit for 48 hours now, the only decor is spider wood and sand, and my sponge filter from AC. Thoughts? But I can barely see the other side.

7784A948-35F4-4AEF-A829-9C7B19C66D6D.jpeg

14344FF3-A484-4192-9545-003FF4A1DCA7.jpeg

On 6/5/2024 at 7:11 AM, GoofyGarra said:

Most likely just from the substrate. New substrates always cause a bit of water cloudiness no matter how much you wash them.

That was my thought, how long will this stay? If you even know, but it doesn’t have any thing to do with the water paremeters right? 
Thanks!!!!! @GoofyGarra.

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 7:14 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

That was my thought, how long will this stay? If you even know, but it doesn’t have any thing to do with the water paremeters right? 
Thanks!!!!! @GoofyGarra.

It will last probably just another day or two while the particles settle down or are filtered out. A bit of the cloudiness might be tannins from the wood, but should not be water parameter related, no. Overstocking can cause cloudy water but you clearly have very moderate stocking in the tank.

Edited by GoofyGarra

Probably a combo of bacterial bloom and substrate. Just let it run for a while. New tanks get weird for the first week or so as the water ages and all the dust and gunk on the decor and substrate washes off and the gasses in the tap water comes out of solution and everything else

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 7:22 AM, GoofyGarra said:

It will last probably just another day or two while the particles settle down or are filtered out. A bit of the cloudiness might be tannins from the wood, but should not be water parameter related, no. Overstocking can cause cloudy water but you clearly have very moderate stocking in the tank.

Ok, yes there is actually no stocking in the tank. I am going to start the cycle today. (Fishless). Thanks! 

On 6/5/2024 at 7:39 AM, doktor zhivago said:

Probably a combo of bacterial bloom and substrate. Just let it run for a while. New tanks get weird for the first week or so as the water ages and all the dust and gunk on the decor and substrate washes off and the gasses in the tap water comes out of solution and everything else

Thanks! @doktor zhivago, one quick Q, can I start the fishless cycle today even tho it is like this? I use bottled ammonia and dr Tim’s bacteria to cycle my tanks. 

Probably substrate though I don't see why it was clear than cloudy. Bacteria could of come on the driftwood. Personally, with no fish I would do a water change. If it's sediment may as well get it out. 

You could also get a really cheap hob,add polyfill or polishing sponge and let it filter for a day. If you want it really clear, use accu-clear.

It would be nice to have a hob around to do chemical and mechanical filtration when needed. Nothing fancy. Could use the cheapest one there is since it's not to keep them alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 8:20 AM, Lonkley said:

Probably substrate though I don't see why it was clear than cloudy. Bacteria could of come on the driftwood. Personally, with no fish I would do a water change. If it's sediment may as well get it out. 

You could also get a really cheap hob,add polyfill or polishing sponge and let it filter for a day. If you want it really clear, use accu-clear.

It would be nice to have a hob around to do chemical and mechanical filtration when needed. Nothing fancy. Could use the cheapest one there is since it's not to keep them alive.

Cool, thanks!

On 6/5/2024 at 8:52 AM, lefty o said:

clear at first, probably not the substrate imo, but more likely a bacteria. it wont last long, no worries.

Got it, just wondering the cause. 

On 6/5/2024 at 8:56 AM, Tony s said:

Just one word….Patience!🤣🤣. It’ll clear no problem at all. Go ahead and start your fishless cycle.

Yes my patience will have to be tested again (sigh) lol. Yay! Fishless cycle time, I actually am a pretty big fan of it, teh safe and best way to cycle and aquarium, but that is IMO.  Thanks everyone! @GoofyGarra, @doktor zhivago, @Lonkley, @lefty o, @Tony s, thanks for all the quick and helpful responses!

On 6/5/2024 at 8:04 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thanks! @doktor zhivago, one quick Q, can I start the fishless cycle today even tho it is like this? I use bottled ammonia and dr Tim’s bacteria to cycle my tanks. 

If you already have tanks just put some cycled media in there and you're done. Why start from scratch 

• Like 3

On 6/5/2024 at 9:22 AM, doktor zhivago said:

If you already have tanks just put some cycled media in there and you're done. Why start from scratch 

Yeah it would seem I would do that, I have a hob tho on my other tank, and this might seem odd to u, but I love the fishless cycle, patience isn’t my thing, but I will do it for the health and sake of my future fishes! Yes what you mentioned is perfectly safe prob but this is just what I am sticking with. 🙂 @doktor zhivago.

• Like 1

You could still do a fishless cycle with a little help from your other tank. 

Simply squeeze the sponges or swish the media from the HOB into the new tank, add ammonia, and then watch it cycle from there. 

If you wanna do it from scratch, I totally get it. My first couple of tanks I did it from scratch as I liked it and thought it was fun. From there, I had so much established media that I would do what I described above, just to make sure it was safe for the new fish. 

• Like 2

You’re really doing this the hard way for no reason at all. You state that patience isn’t your thing, yet subjugate yourself to  this. I know you were having issues cycling your other aquarium, did you ever get that resolved or is it both are uncycled? 

• Like 1

Just sharing my experience - as you know, cycling from scratch takes several weeks. When I cycled my second tank I plopped in some old filter media (sponge) as in I literally sat it on the substrate. The tank was literally cycled in like a week. I didn’t add fish in a week but it really does speed up the process. You can still use the bottled ammonia and bacteria to help even more, of course 🙂

And you should go to your LFS and get some plants in that bad boy! That’ll also help the tank get more established and grow some algae for future inhabitants!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:23 AM, mynameisnobody said:

You’re really doing this the hard way for no reason at all. You state that patience isn’t your thing, yet subjugate yourself to  this. I know you were having issues cycling your other aquarium, did you ever get that resolved or is it both are uncycled? 

Yes sorry that is confusing. I meant that I was not good at patience but now have learned, oh and yes my other tank is cycled and my fish are thriving, + I got a new snail and it is heavily planted. It is just what I want to do, idk why, but yeah I love doing it

On 6/5/2024 at 11:28 AM, EricksonAquatics said:

Just sharing my experience - as you know, cycling from scratch takes several weeks. When I cycled my second tank I plopped in some old filter media (sponge) as in I literally sat it on the substrate. The tank was literally cycled in like a week. I didn’t add fish in a week but it really does speed up the process. You can still use the bottled ammonia and bacteria to help even more, of course 🙂

And you should go to your LFS and get some plants in that bad boy! That’ll also help the tank get more established and grow some algae for future inhabitants!

Yes I just added BB and ammonia, so if I take out my filter cartridge (yes those brand name ones that are expensive, yes I was deceived😒) and throw it in there, and my 10g will have no cartridge? I am confused 😐. Thanks tho!!!!

• Like 1

Sorry, what I meant to say is I would put the new filter that you got for your 20g and put it in your 10. Usually I do that well before I get the tank so it has time to seed up nicely. Then move that filter to the 20 so it has all the good BB in it. Definitely don’t take out the only cartridge you have for the 10g 🙂

It will just make things a lot easier!

• Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 3:03 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Sorry, what I meant to say is I would put the new filter that you got for your 20g and put it in your 10. Usually I do that well before I get the tank so it has time to seed up nicely. Then move that filter to the 20 so it has all the good BB in it. Definitely don’t take out the only cartridge you have for the 10g 🙂

It will just make things a lot easier!

Ooooooooooh, ok that makes more sense! I already started it though 😞. But maybe next time! Like, I am going to set up my empty 5g, and probably make it a QT tank, and I will most likely use this method! Thanks! @EricksonAquatics.