Emergency situation - fish injury

Posted (edited)

Alright, now that I’m home for the night and will be home for the next few days, I did a water change and brought the tank back to level ONE salt. I fished out every trumpet snail I could locate, then I dosed the tank with Kanaplex. Geppetto ate some pellets and seems to be taking the treatment well. I did give him “a hint” of extra air. At first I tried to go full throttle but with his long fins he really struggled against the increased flow then had to lie down on the sand.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 5/30/2024 at 4:34 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The instructions on kanaplex don’t mention changing water between doses. Should I be changing water before redosing or no?

Water change before starting treatment then a water change after you have finished the full course of kanaplex 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 8:34 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The instructions on kanaplex don’t mention changing water between doses. Should I be changing water before redosing or no?

Seachem is really bad about their directions in this regard.  My process has always been: One treatment, 50% water change (maybe 2, with a 24 hour break) and then roll into the next treatment.

Basically, with the way seachem has the direction you dose in the meds and wait 48 hours.  Treatment is 3 doses, but treatment is also 6 doses.  Thanks seachem.
Day 1: dose med
Day 2: monitor
Day 3: dose med
Day 4: monitor
Day 5: dose med
Day 6: monitor
Day 7: water change and ponder if you need to continue treatment, this is almost always going to be a yes given the diseases that kanaplex is used for.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2024 at 9:11 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Seems a little less red today

Wow, your little guy is such a tough little guy. That just really looks rough still.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 11:46 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Seachem is really bad about their directions in this regard.  My process has always been: One treatment, 50% water change (maybe 2, with a 24 hour break) and then roll into the next treatment.

Basically, with the way seachem has the direction you dose in the meds and wait 48 hours.  Treatment is 3 doses, but treatment is also 6 doses.  Thanks seachem.
Day 1: dose med
Day 2: monitor
Day 3: dose med
Day 4: monitor
Day 5: dose med
Day 6: monitor
Day 7: water change and ponder if you need to continue treatment, this is almost always going to be a yes given the diseases that kanaplex is used for.

Day by day instructions. Love it. Thanks!

On 5/31/2024 at 12:14 AM, Tony s said:

Wow, your little guy is such a tough little guy. That just really looks rough still.

Yeah. Truth is, if I hadn’t done an evening feeding and found him stuck, he wouldn’t have survived. When I approach the tank he ALWAYS greets me and “dances”. That day he didn’t, and I had to investigate. I can’t begin to tell you how traumatic it is to break a decoration that a pet you love is trapped in. You don’t really know how the decoration is going to break and if it will be a good or bad decision. My husband had to break it by brute force, squeezing pliers as hard as possible on a spot right next to the fish, to get the ceramic to crack. It took several tries and the fish and decoration were above the surface of the water several times. I was freaking out. 

Prior to breaking the decor I tried to gently push him through forward, then push him through backwards, like, pressing on his nose. Used gentle pressure on his side with a Q-tip to “tuck in” his fin to see if that would make him skinny enough to go through. Let me tell you, there was not much leeway at all. Then I had to slowly turn him to see if he could fit through another way, because the holes in the ceramic are not perfectly round. All of this caused abrasions but I had no choice. Whatever I did I tried to be so gentle. But the fish was struggling and fighting and causing his own injuries too. Hes got a lot of fire in him, that one. Very very stressful for all involved, and I knew I was destroying his slime coat too with all the handling. That’s why salt went in the tank ASAP afterwards.

Also the decoration had been in the tank for a year at least and he never even seemed to notice it? There were some shrimps in his tank. Maybe he saw one go in there this time and wanted to chase it.

Truly shocked at how well he is doing now. I expected otherwise. Also he is a senior citizen. He’s at least 4 or 5 years old, but never acts like it. He gets around just fine.

• Like 3

That was a very uplifting video, the music matched the theme very well. I've been reading through the thread and is it very nice to see that he is doing better and eating now, always a good sign of recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

IMG_7768.jpeg.d7a89d099003928bbdb84efc487efc31.jpeg

IMG_7769.jpeg.1a39d4a7d24c97f7980e20078f764558.jpeg

IMG_7770.jpeg.e5f892893a2de166b64cdb0d4dec4f72.jpeg

I cannot detect wounds anymore, so I will go from daily to every other day for water changes.

I don’t know why he lost pigment in his kickstand. I guess it’s like if we get hurt we sometimes get a scar. Hopefully that will color back up, in good time.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I could be wrong, but I would add a secondary dose and let it "soak" to help keep infections from popping up.  The major one would be fin rot.

So your water change as mentioned, then just redose the med and let it sit for 48-72 hours.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t have much to report. My little guy has been doing well; fins regrowing. A spot on his tail. I checked it out, and it seems like one of those loss of pigment issues like his kickstand had. Kickstand regained color.

IMG_7861.jpeg

IMG_7862.jpeg

IMG_7863.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2