Getting salt out of tank

Guys so I just got a second hand tank which was used for salt water and I want to use it as a freshwater tank. I have hosed everything off as much as I can but there a some hard patches of salt which water and scrubbing will not get off and I am worried when I have a fish in it the salt will dissolve and kill the fish. What is the best way to get any excess salt out and sterilise the tank in the process? Thanks

Posted (edited)

I think I might just fill the tank and see if it dissolves on it's own. This would do 2 things. 1- it would dissolve the salt hopefully or at least soften it. 2- it would perform a leak check on the tank. Especially important for a used tank.

as for disinfecting it. if it's been dried out for a while there is really no need. not much of anything is going to survive being dried out. or you could rinse it in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and dry it out again

Edited by Tony s

My old 110 had the same problem when I got it I used a plastic razor and some vinegar if I’d have really wanted to get it all I might have used citric acid

• Like 1

• Administrators

Unlikely there would be enough salt left to make a difference. Fill it up, let it sit, change water after a week if you're worried.

Im not sure if the question here is purely salt. Reef tank and saltwater tank salts have many things added besides the salt itself, as people use RODI and use these reef/salt mixes to reach ideal tank water.. You might be seeing the residue of many things and I don’t think it is just salt, if any

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 5:20 PM, Lennie said:

Im not sure if the question here is purely salt. Reef tank and saltwater tank salts have many things added besides the salt itself, as people use RODI and use these reef/salt mixes to reach ideal tank water.. You might be seeing the residue of many things and I don’t think it is just salt, if any

Ya In my case it was dead coralline algae with a bunch of hard water stains around it 

Marine salts contain a lot of calcium carbonate as well as the salt so it's probably carbonate deposits. Use a couple of layers of paper towels soaked in vinegar stuck over the deposits and let sit for a couple hours, then scrape what's left with a razor blade and repeat until the deposits are gone. The glass may be etched under the mineral deposits, the etching usually looks like cloudy raindrops on the glass and you can't scrape that off.