I was gifted a ten gallon aquarium today! (oh gosh, this might be a problem - watch out mom and dad! the fish obsession has been fueled EVEN BIGGER!)

Obviously ten gallons is a bit small for any big fish. But I would like to have some "oddball" stocking in there. I was thinking African dwarf frogs, but I personally feel it's a little small for them. So any nano stocking recommendations? 

I wouldn't mind a species tank either. I also wouldn't mind paludarium / vivarium either (I would actually prefer this, but again, an aquarium is good too :3 ) !!!

My domestic water supply has the water parameters of 6.8 - 7.4 || dGH 8 || dKH 6 ... I do not have the means to change these substantially, but ofc I could raise the pH with crushed coral

Thanks for helping!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My recommendations for a 10g:

- African dwarf frogs! You can keep up to 5 if your filtration is good.

- I also used to keep a darter in a 10g. Mine was a swamp darter. They’re native fish, and they’re super cute and interesting to watch! Some of the species have amazing colors that rival any tropical fish.

- Guppies/Endlers! They’re small, beautiful, and as long as they’re not inbred, also quite hardy. Just don’t let them overpopulate.

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Like 2

You could keep a trio of dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon. 

Alternatively, a group of freshwater bumblebee gobies or maybe some of the smaller rhinogobius species would be good.