Glass Cleaners

For cleaning algae off of the glass, do you prefer Bristlenose or Nerite snails or something else?  Mystery snails are not that great for keeping the glass clean.  I already have Ottos.  Thanks.

On 4/30/2024 at 10:04 AM, RyanR said:

That was my other option.  I'm getting lazy in my old age...lol.

😆, me too! Honestly, I’ve found magic eraser to be the safest way to not scratch the glass. I’ll drain the tank half way and get to work on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi @RyanR,

Like @Mmiller2001 I too have used melamine sponges for several years to clean most algae types off of my glass.  Make sure that they have no detergent or cleaning solution in them.  I pick mine up on Ebay 3/4" Heavy Duty ones with texture on one side for less than $0.15 each in purchase of 50.  I use one for about 3 weeks and then use a new one (I'm cleaning 6 tanks).  However, for that really stubborn green spot algae (GSA) or black brush algae (BBA) I don't like to scrub that hard even with the melamine pads so I use a Lil' Chizler plastic scraper also on Ebay for about $2 each if you buy 5.  Not only does it do well on the flat glass but with the curved corners I can clean the corners of my tank as well.  I've only gone through one in 6 months. Hope this helps! -Roy

We used them as gift bag stuffers for our club BIG General earlier this month....can you guess the Latin??
20240422LilChizlerCroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.dc07d4946a171403643f29339c8cf786.jpg

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Like 3

I don't have Bristlenose, but I will say my nerites and ramshorns clean the glass well. But even so, I like the magic eraser things that the coop sells. I don't get enough algae on the glass to need a beefier scraper and I live how the algae/gunk sticks to them vs floating off into the water. 

• Like 1

Biological control l I like hillstream loaches

Botanical control I like floaters

As for Mechanical Algae control I like a credit card and a new, non chemically treated dish sponge/scouring pad.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 11:59 AM, RyanR said:

For cleaning algae off of the glass, do you prefer Bristlenose or Nerite snails or something else?  Mystery snails are not that great for keeping the glass clean.  I already have Ottos.  Thanks.

Razor blades are my #1 pick. You just gotta be careful to not hit any snails with it

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 8:53 PM, Jeff said:

This is the best I've ever seen and tried. It's so good - better than any mag float type of device you'll try. What makes it so good, is it goes easy on the silicone in the corners. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/cleaning-supplies/products/algae-scrubber

I got some in on Friday. They worked great on that stubborn glass algae that even Nerites have a problem with. 

• Like 1

Ikea has a nice bathroom rubber squeeze that's great for quick glass cleaning. I only really worry about the front viewing glass as that other is nice fry food.

Also Who Dat.

On 5/5/2024 at 6:53 PM, Jeff said:

This is the best I've ever seen and tried. It's so good - better than any mag float type of device you'll try. What makes it so good, is it goes easy on the silicone in the corners. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/cleaning-supplies/products/algae-scrubber

Hi @Jeff,  lol Jeff those are the melamine sponges @Mmiller2001 and I were talking about.....many different sources.  -Roy

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 2:21 PM, Xr4tiCrew said:

Thanks.  If I can buy something from ACO, I will try.  I know their products are close to the best quality, especially for the money.  In addition I know I won't get ripped off, customer service is a 10+ out of 10.  Amazon makes since for a lot of things, but if I can support a company I know and maybe only spend a couple of dollars more, I'm supporting ACO.

On 5/6/2024 at 1:35 PM, RyanR said:

Thanks.  If I can buy something from ACO, I will try.  I know their products are close to the best quality, especially for the money.  In addition I know I won't get ripped off, customer service is a 10+ out of 10.  Amazon makes since for a lot of things, but if I can support a company I know and maybe only spend a couple of dollars more, I'm supporting ACO.

I am all for supporting ACO as well. But I guess what I am saying is that you need both. Sometimes the algae scrubbers from ACO are just not enough to get the glass 100 % clean. 

I believe the coop sponge scrubbers are the same material as Mr. Clean magic erasers, unscented. (I could be wrong). and you can get those in bulk for relatively cheap.