My tank is dusty!

I keep getting these brown soft dusty things all over my aquarium. If I put my hands in or move the water, it scatters all over, then it lands on my plants and decor. No matter how much I clean the water, it comes back in 24 hour!

Is it algae or something else, and what should I do about it?

My water parameters are good I just checked..

IMG_6494.JPG

Edited by faysalals1

Like @jwcarlson said, change more water, gravel vac/siphon it out, and/or upgrade filtration. You could also add something like Corydoras to your tank that sift around the bottom to suspend the detritus back up in the water column to allow your filtration a second, third, fourth, etc. time to actually catch the debris. 

What kind of filtration do you have on the tank?

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:14 PM, doktor zhivago said:

It's just diatoms. Water changes only make it worse. You just have to let them run their course

Diatoms grows on surfaces. This looks like it just lays on top of  it.
More/better circulation should help the mechanical filtration to pick it up

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 2:05 PM, jwcarlson said:

Change more water.  It's mulm/detritus.

Yes, it looks like mulm to me, too.

When you do water changes, do you vacuum the gravel with your siphon? While that doesn’t necessary need to be done with each and every water change, it does need to be done from time to time. If it’s been a while, might be time to do that now.

On 4/12/2024 at 5:03 AM, AtomicSunfish said:

Yes, it looks like mulm to me, too.

When you do water changes, do you vacuum the gravel with your siphon? While that doesn’t necessary need to be done with each and every water change, it does need to be done from time to time. If it’s been a while, might be time to do that now.

Yeah I do it really good once a week

On 4/12/2024 at 5:04 AM, faysalals1 said:

Yeah I do it really good once a week

Hmm. What form of filtration do you have? Also, do you scrape the sides of your tank sometimes, to get rid of algae growing there? I wonder if it’s build up of algae that came off the glass, but has not been either filtered out or siphoned away.

Algae wouldn't move the second you put your hand near it, imo. All the clues make it seem like mulm. 

Mulm is a good thing for your aquarium. If you don't like the look of it, then gravel vac is the easiest way to remove it. 

Only time I ever had this happen is when I changed foods and had an ammonia spike. That detritus took my entire aquarium over. I gravel vacuumed  and changed the water every 2 days untill I got it back under control. It was so bad it blocked my filters and made a horrible mess of the entire tank. 

• Like 1

Weird that it would be after 4 years. Could the aquaclear motor be aging out? Maybe deep clean the hob and impeller.

If it's ok I would pack the aquaclear with polyfill or coop polishing pads and kick everything into the water column for it to pick up. 

If it is the hob I'd probably change to an aquaclear 50.

But if you've been happy for 4 years I would concentrate on what has changed recently.