Leaky Aquarium

Daniel

My neighbor just now gifted me with a 58 gallon aquarium he has had for 25 years or more. It has lovely woodgrain trim. He said the yellow tape was 'to keep birds from flying in to it'.

1962672943_LeakyTank.jpg.2e751785e6f84ca632b914ddb1e72633.jpg

Recently it started weeping a bit (a small leak). It is not really clear where the leak is. Should I scape away the old silicone, or just slather a generous bead on all the seams?

Anyone had success with repairing older aquariums?

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Cricket is on the job already! She is in the tank scraping silicone, Watson her twin brother is supervising!

20200725_2632.JPG.d0ede065b69a5850d8774218996a6206.JPG

Is that the original silicone?  The old silicone "should" be removed anyway.  I believe that approximately every 10 years a glass aquarium "should" be resealed. Some have gone longer of course.   It's a messy & smelly job, but is doable.  Just scrape the silicone you can see.  Don't dig the razor blade in between the panels, unless you want a complete rebuild.  It's up to you.  From all the videos I have seen, it's quite a project, but can be fun.  P.S.  Remove the cat, first.  😅  Nice cat.  🐱

• Thanks 1

yeah, a little acetone/rubbing alcohol or similar can help clean up the places you want the silicone to stick to. Something volatile so that it goes completely and leaves a squeaky clean and dry surface behind. I actually received a cracked tank from amazon. They refunded the money and didn't want me to return the tank. I siliconed the crack and it is fine. It was a tiny crack on a tiny tank, but for a free rimless tank, I decided to risk it. It was actually really pretty quick.

• Thanks 1