Whitecloud09’s 5 gallon rescape

I have an empty tank……a 5g, but there should be no empty tanks so I am starting this to show the progress of my 5g tank, my betta died a week ago, so now it is  COMPLETELY empty with the HOB sitting there. I have no pics because it is just completely empty (no point) and I am still deciding on what to do with it and also another thing, the super long process of the fishless cycle.     I am open to suggestions like, what kind of fish to put in, how to decorate it, and helping me when I ask some Qs if you can. I might not post for a bit because I am still trying to find what I need for it and setting up and prepping for this tank, it will be planted btw and there you go, here is a pic of what it used to look like down  below. Thanks for reading this through to the end and yeah not much more to say lol. 🙂

03E34ACD-A9C7-48F6-A385-0BB2A807123F.jpeg

1DBDDCA9-5FAA-4C5F-9CA9-508744F87A14.jpeg

• Sad 1

1. That stand looks sketchy to me. Are you sure it can handle the weight of the tank?

2. If your betta only died a week ago your tank still probably has significant colonies of beneficial bacteria. Also, since you have another tank with cycled media you can use that to pretty much instantly cycle new tanks.

3. I would strongly recommend upgrading the substrate and lighting to grow plants. I have nicrew and aquaneat leds both of which are less than $20 on Amazon and grow plants well.

I always thought a densely planted 5 gallon would look great with a some sparkling gourami.

Edited by macdaddy36
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 9:21 PM, macdaddy36 said:

1. That stand looks sketchy to me. Are you sure it can handle the weight of the tank?

2. If your betta only died a week ago your tank still probably has significant colonies of beneficial bacteria. Also, since you have another tank with cycled media you can use that to pretty much instantly cycle new tanks.

3. I would strongly recommend upgrading the substrate and lighting to grow plants. I have nicrew and aquaneat leds both of which are less than $20 on Amazon and grow plants well.

I always thought a densely planted 5 gallon would look great with a some sparkling gourami.

Yeah it does but I am getting a new one that is sturdy before I fill it up @macdaddy36, I will upgrade substrate and all that too, thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 5:15 AM, FLFishChik said:

I’m so sorry about your Betta! 

what about Chili Rasbora or Green Neon Tetras? A group of 5-6 in a planted tank would be so cute!

Thanks, those sound cool! Thanks for the suggestion @FLFishChik! Yep @Ladette, I love the thought of redoing everything on a tank, so the mistakes you made last time, you can fix! Yes, he was only 2, had sickness pretty much since I had him, he fought hard but now, RIP Sonic…..

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 4/4/2024 at 3:00 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Oh and can anybody suggest gravel ideas? Black sounds good but any thoughts? Thanks everyone. 

This isn’t gravel, but I like to use sand for my tanks. In my opinion it looks more natural and grows plants better. I’ve tried different things in the past but what I like the best is fluval stratum in a mesh ziplock bag covered in carib-sea supernaturals tan sand. They have other colors too. I would estimate that setup would only be about $30 for a 5 gallon.

Edited by macdaddy36
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 3:12 PM, macdaddy36 said:

This isn’t gravel, but I like to use sand for my tanks. In my opinion it looks more natural and grows plants better. I’ve tried different things in the past but what I like the best is fluval stratum in a mesh ziplock bag covered in carib-sea supernaturals tan sand. They have other colors too. I would estimate that setup would only be about $30 for a 5 gallon.

Thanks a lot, @macdaddy36, i will defintley look into that! Yes for a 5 gallon your budget can expand as it is not too expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for no recent update, still trying to put everything together and see what price of this stuff and see what I am buying and how expensive it will be, bigger update will come in the next month!!! Stay tuned lol