How to upgrade/mod my hob filter?

For the past 2 months since my aquarium has been up I've been using a TopFin Silentstream hob filter. I've also have a sponge filter inside that's been there for 3 weeks now. 

For the most part I have been using the same cartridge the filter came with and its been good but recently I've been seeing small fine particles in the water, I've tried adding filter floss into my hob but I don't think it did anything and if anything I've been seeing micro bubbles in the water aswell. 

Now at this point I want to just completely redo the filter but I don't know how I would do that since I don't want to get rid of the bacteria already in the cartridge. I wanna do sponge pad but I've also seen people use rings but some say those are for canister. 

I just wanna know what you guys think would be a good route to go on replacing my cartridge.

This is just an image I found on Google of the inside of the same filter. c77e556ea8f295f66448dfb577e69c60.jpg.f487b7bd24b45b08530ed4baf8e3fb27.jpg

Bacteria in your filter is the same growing on the tank walls, substrate, decore etc.  If your worried about removing too much bacteria at one time, take your old filter pad/media and place it somewhere in the tank. Make your mods,  get it running.  Wait a week remove old filter pad/media.  Little ugly for a week but stress free   

• Like 1

At this point, you could place a new cartridge in the proper slot  and leave the old cartridge in the filter box for a few days- week.  The blue screen has bacteria on it, and your sponge filter is working for you, so you are good.

Your HOB's biggest function is mechanical filtration, referred to as polishing the water.  Rings and such are for bacteria.  You can add them to provide more surface area for the bacteria, but they don't do much for removing fine particulates.  Filter sponges will do both.  Filter Floss/Poly fil from the craft store will help polish the water.

I'm not sure about the "micro bubbles", post a picture if you can.

• Like 1

@Tanked Thanks that's actually reassuring, so many videos and forums saying so many things like cutting up my cartridge or never touching it at all and to only replace if really necessary.

But from what you said Im gonna put a filter sponge with the old cartridge behind it for a week and take out the cartridge after. 

Thanks for the replies guys!

• Like 1

I agree with MattyM. I would use all Co-Op sponge material. I combo that with filter floss, and change out the floss every water change. 

other than that, my HOB is just Co-Op course sponges. 

The floss does the same thing as your carbon, without stripping any fertilizer you put in. 

On 4/2/2024 at 5:04 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Ditch the cartridge, and replace with a coarse sponge. You’ll never have to replace that sponge (or, maybe in like 10 years you’ll start to think about replacing the sponge). Add Poly-Fil for water polishing if you’d like. 

This says it all, add one thing a sponge to the intake a sponge filter sponge 

On 4/2/2024 at 4:39 PM, Dextreous said:

@JeffJeffcould i substitute the floss for ceramic rings? Or could i combo all three?

You can def combo all three. I forgot I had bio rings mine too. 

Floss helps a ton with water clarity. 

Edited by Jeff