Pump for water changes?

Stepping up to a 90 gallon tank so I need a better way to change water. Looking for recommendation for a pump to use to drain and refill. I see a ton of pumps on Amazon, just looking for a decent one.

I have a 75G that I set up recently. I use a Python to drain/fill during water changes. If you already have a Python, I see why you would want a pump to drain. In my case the Python takes a while to drain, and I am considering a pump for that as well. However, I will likely keep using the Python to refill.

Anyway, I don’t have a recommendation, but thank you for the post!

Posted (edited)

Pump. 

I have a hygger version of a python but it's not practical to connect. So I plan on taking the tubing and connecting to an electric pump

For refill I'll just fill the bucket with the sink sprayer 

Edited by Lonkley

We use the Vivosun 800gph to refill my 65g. Too strong a suction to take out the dirty water (so much that it blew the hose off the outlet), and no easy way to cover the intake to prevent sucking in little fish (we tried with a nylon pot scrubber tied on with elastic bands, but I worried a lot about slipping). So, we only use it to fill the tank from kitchen faucet with a 20 ft hose. Fills really quickly.

For emptying the 65gin a hurry, we use Marineland Maxi-Jet 400, Multi-Use Water Pump And Power Head, Fully Convertible, 110/500 GPH. That one, we feel more confident about covering the intake, because one can easily stuff a prefilter in the intake cover. We can use it for refilling, but the Vivosun was rated faster. If not in a rush emptying, we just start a siphon with a manual ball primer pump.

For my smaller tanks, we just use the ACO powerhead (because I already had it) for draining the dirty water or refilling the tank. It is not rated to push the water as far as my water source 15 feet away, so we have to ensure the hose is completely empty of water before attempting to use it. Otherwise, nothing happens. But, it does the job!

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1

I use a Little Giant PES 130-PW. 130 GPH for pumping water back into the aquariums  <$40.  With the DIY pvc hook and no check valve, it will syphon water out.  It is a little slow, but that gives me time to  do maintenance, fill buckets ,etc.  It won't disturb the gravel substrate in tanks 29-75gl.

• Like 1

I use that pump for my 180 gallon.

With a 3/4" hose, pumping out a parallel window to the tank, I can do an 80 percent water change in about 15-20 minutes, if that helps give any context.

I have been very happy with it.

• Thanks 1