Whitecloud09’s 10 gallon planted aquarium journal

On 7/30/2024 at 3:58 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah, I hear that, but honestly, it's a load of garbage. There is no animal in the world that will poop out more than what it eats. They just don't really have any idea how much it's actually eating. Jason uses bristlenose plecos in almost every tank he has, just for its ability to clear surface algae. And I usually trust what he has to say. I actually have my first one now. it's young and in a 20g. When it's older, I'll move it to a larger tank. 

Yeah, always have a slight suspicion of, “is this ACTUALLY correct?” Lol. Thanks @Tony s. Hmmmm….. I am looking at seachem equilibrium on Amazon, might order soon. For my snails. If I get snails…… so what would I say, pleco (clown pleco) or nerite snail. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 7:49 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

“Waste”? @Mmiller2001. I am confused, 😅.

Adding more fertilizer to reach 40ppm is wasting fertilizer. I also add no planted tank needs it that high. I run my tanks at 30ppm and use CO2 and high light. 30ppm is pretty high in and of itself.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 10:12 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Adding more fertilizer to reach 40ppm is wasting fertilizer. I also add no planted tank needs it that high. I run my tanks at 30ppm and use CO2 and high light. 30ppm is pretty high in and of itself.

Oh ok. Well, you had said, to do 3 pumps EG per week, and now after doing that after a couple of weeks every week, this is what I got. Should I do a wc? Or leave it. @Mmiller2001 Thanks btw

On 7/31/2024 at 12:07 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Oh ok. Well, you had said, to do 3 pumps EG per week, and now after doing that after a couple of weeks every week, this is what I got. Should I do a wc? Or leave it. @Mmiller2001 Thanks btw

You can leave it until next water change or go ahead and do one. Reduce to 2 pumps after you decide to change water and then test before a water change after dosing has been 2 pumps for a week or so.

• Like 1

Any kind of neocardinia (like cherry shrimp) seem to definitely be the hardiest. It’s kind of a gamble bc you never know if your white clouds will gobble them right up. It’s possible they’ll become an expensive snack lol. But if you have enough plant cover and hiding places you should be fine. Plus didn’t you say they mostly stay at the top? Hopefully they wouldn’t bother them. At the end of the day though, Nerites are much better algae eaters than shrimp will ever be (unless you have an absolute ARMY of shrimps!)

So if your goal is to have an algae eater, a couple more nerites are probably your best bet.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2024 at 1:43 AM, EricksonAquatics said:

Any kind of neocardinia (like cherry shrimp) seem to definitely be the hardiest. It’s kind of a gamble bc you never know if your white clouds will gobble them right up. It’s possible they’ll become an expensive snack lol. But if you have enough plant cover and hiding places you should be fine. Plus didn’t you say they mostly stay at the top? Hopefully they wouldn’t bother them. At the end of the day though, Nerites are much better algae eaters than shrimp will ever be (unless you have an absolute ARMY of shrimps!)

So if your goal is to have an algae eater, a couple more nerites are probably your best bet.

Will keep this in mind thanks! Yes my WCMMs are always at the top, but explore the bottom too. So yes, best bet, nerite Snail. 2 i guess. But i prob will order them as my LFS is kinda far and around there it is THE worst traffic ever lol.

Thx!!!! @EricksonAquatics.

• Like 1

So, didn’t get the nerites, will do some other time, prob order them too. My tank is doing ok and my WCMMs, are just thriving!!! They have brighter colors, my water is NEVER cloudy somehow, haven’t a issue with ammonia in months, I am so glad. Pic of the tank. Me and my coffee chilling watching the tank. 😄

079D37C5-AA8F-4DAE-B9EA-99C61A5596E0.jpeg

228DB47D-F85E-49DD-A643-C626842586ED.jpeg

So, to clarify, @Mmiller2001, do a wc, and then test before a wc after a week or so? Thanks.

my pearlweed and micro sword are doing great, added some water sprite from my 20g yesterday too. Everything thriving except anubias nana and red flame sword.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

She is killin the algae. Fish are well, dude they are WCMMs and they always thrive so ya….they are thriving 🤣🤣🤣. Picture. Clean the algae a ton, 🧽 the tank a lot. I think it looks a lot better, don’t you think? In the back there is a dying red flame sword leaf, pls ignore lol. Still trying to figure out my EG and other stuff schedule.

Name is Olivia I guess, thanks for your suggestion @Guupy42! And for the other name, @Yoshi! I will use it actually if I get another female when I get more snails for the tank sometime soon!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 12:16 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Mmiller2001, I never asked your opinion, do you like the look of my tank? I think it looks good the day after a wc especially. I guess it looks good, what is your opinion? Thanks 

50% change done 2 days in a row last week. I added blooworms into the mix of foods yesterday. Frozen bloodworm cubes to be exact. And hikari vibra bites, too.

image.jpg

The way a tank looks is subjective. I’m 100% in love with the classic Dutch aqua scapes so all I can say is….it would look better as a Dutch tank 😆 All that matters is that you like it. 

If you want suggestions, google rule of thirds and how to create depth in an aquarium and play around with the scape.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 2:26 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

The way a tank looks is subjective. I’m 100% in love with the classic Dutch aqua scapes so all I can say is….it would look better as a Dutch tank 😆 All that matters is that you like it. 

If you want suggestions, google rule of thirds and how to create depth in an aquarium and play around with the scape.

Thank you for your honesty, I’ve always wanted a scape, the two caves look kinda outta place imo. For some reason, beside the 2 caves I think it looks good. But the caves are the biggest part, I think I need some rocks, driftwood maybe and stuff. I like to mess around with scapes, so I will look into that thank you! I want more carpeting plants too, to make it look like a grassy bottom. And stones arranged with small plants in between the stones. 
thx 😊 

On 8/11/2024 at 12:30 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thank you for your honesty, I’ve always wanted a scape, the two caves look kinda outta place imo. For some reason, beside the 2 caves I think it looks good. But the caves are the biggest part, I think I need some rocks, driftwood maybe and stuff. I like to mess around with scapes, so I will look into that thank you! I want more carpeting plants too, to make it look like a grassy bottom. And stones arranged with small plants in between the stones. 
thx 😊 

They look off because they, being a point of interest, are outside the rule of thirds. I would recommend Hygrophila Serphyllum for a non co2 carpet plants.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2024 at 3:38 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

What happened? 😬

I HAVE NO CLUE. No storm rain or nothin, power just shut out outta nowhere, a town nearby had power out for 8 straight hours, nice sunny day btw LOL. WHO KNOWS 🤣. Now i have to reset my timer on both my lights. AT least it is over and we are good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1