Waterlogging driftwood

Was curious how long does it take water log my driftwood it's in a 55g tank, I was told it was manzanita but not sure. It's been in the tank for a month now and it's still floats.

IMG20240306013506.jpg

So, one wood I had became waterlogged in a matter of three weeks, another piece that looks similar has been in the tank for past two three months and is still swimming 🙂

• Like 1

fact is, you just never know how long a piece of wood will take to sink. sometimes its a few days, sometimes a few months. when impatient, ive always used the screw a piece of slate to it to make it sink.

• Like 2

I have a cheap enamel pot, 4 gallons or so, that I use to boil wood. For larger pieces I just boil whatever will fit for 5-10 minutes, and flip as needed - even if I have to hold it while it's boiling, it helps. It will also help with any biofilm and tannins it might be leeching. 

Those are some really nice pieces btw!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 3:11 PM, MattyM said:

I have a cheap enamel pot, 4 gallons or so, that I use to boil wood. For larger pieces I just boil whatever will fit for 5-10 minutes, and flip as needed - even if I have to hold it while it's boiling, it helps. It will also help with any biofilm and tannins it might be leeching. 

Those are some really nice pieces btw!

But the biofilm can feed the tank.  I know some don't like the tannins.  I have black water fish on my list so they will love the tannins 

On 3/7/2024 at 8:40 AM, johnnyxxl said:

But the biofilm can feed the tank.

Yup, my spider wood just had an amazing amount that now gives the tank a more reasonable amount of biofilm to feed on, even months later.