Cheap Aquarium advice

WVWade

Ali Express is known for selling very cheaply made items. I have purchased fake jerseys from them and its hit or miss that I get anything that looks like the picture. I would never buy anything like an aquarium from that wenbsite.

• Like 3

If you do buy it, report back but I would be EXTREMELY cautious. I can promise you it will be made with the cheapest materials possible. If you can lose $400 and its not a huge deal, maybe worth the risk but if $400 is a lot, I'd pass.

• Like 5

On 2/26/2024 at 1:02 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

The cost of the aquarium is nothing compared to the cost in damages, time, and materials to replace things when 124 gallons of water are on your floor. I would never buy that tank, and I have plenty of secondhand tanks bought used lol. 

thats what pops into my mind. if you can afford to lose $400 buying something cheap, well whatever. 124 gallons of water loose in your home, now thats something to be concerned about.

Edited by lefty o
  • Like 3

Honestly, I have trouble trusting anywhere online for buying tanks. I know they have to get shipped to the store but something about them getting shipped to my house makes me nervous. That's kind of the reason who Aquarium co-op only has their new aquarium in their physical store.

Facebook market, offer up, Craigslist, etc are your best bet for getting a cheap aquarium but those come with their own risks

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 8:38 AM, mynameisnobody said:

That was part of the reason for my post. It was also on Amazon.

I thought someone in here might have bought one, had experience with the item or at the very least knew a company or website that would sale at wholesale prices, instead I just got opinions, nothing factual

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:58 AM, WVWade said:

That was part of the reason for my post. It was also on Amazon.

I thought someone in here might have bought one, had experience with the item or at the very least knew a company or website that would sale at wholesale prices, instead I just got opinions, nothing factual

Uselly opinions is what you will get on this kind of topic, it is up to u @WVWade

@WVWade The cheapest option is Petco/Petsmart half off sale. These tanks are what most people start out with and are what are tried and tested. I think almost everyone on this forum would agree that while you can go cheap on stuff like filtration (sponge), lights (nicrew), and substrate (pool filter sand), with heaters and tanks you want to buy something that you know will work because if a heater fails then your fish are cooked, and if a tank fails your fish are dead and your house is flooded.

At the bottom of the screenshot you posted it says "1 sold". The chances of finding the one person that actually bought that tank is very unlikely.

You could try building your own tank, but even then I doubt you could build a 40 gallon tank for less than the Petco half off tank based on the price of glass alone.

Edited by macdaddy36
  • Like 3

When it is based on what you think, and the assumption that is cheaply made, without having one yourself, that is an opinion. When I said cheap I did not mean poorly made, I meant wholesale. I know the issues of leaking, experienced from craigslist. Not too keen on buying second hand again.

But thanks for you input

• Confused 1

Buy it and tell us what you think. It has become pretty obvious that nobody on the forum has experience with that specific tank. Everyone has shared their experiences and their thoughts, but that hasn’t seemed to satisfy what you were looking to gain. Pull the trigger and keep us in the loop!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Look you can do whatever you want, but you did come here asking for opinions. My opinion isn't based on this specific product but on experience with this website. I have purchased multiple Jerseys from them because they are much cheaper than buying legit ones but I got what I paid for. Patches/letters are crooked, colors are slightly off, jersey isn't true to the size I ordered, etc. On a Jersey, imperfections aren't a huge deal, with a large tank it could be a disaster.

Other reasons for my opinion that you should be cautious with this purchase is that there are zero reviews of this product anywhere that I can find online and depending on where you live the shipping seems to make the tank much less affordable. I also see some potential functionality issues like does it have a built in filter or sump? How do you access it?  If it doesn't, is there anywhere to put a cannister filter? What kind of light does it have? Can you change the light if its not strong enough for plants?  How does the lid open? Looks like it may also be difficult to clean given its height. It just seems like there isn't a lot of info on this tank and would be more of a gamble than I would be willing to take. But hey, what do I know? No one here is trying to rain on your parade, we just don't want you make a costly mistake. 

If you do buy it, I hope it works out and looks amazing. I also hope you come back to share your plans and show pics because it does look like it could be a very cool tank.

image.png.7f3c91d1bd4a1b4d386f03c16005b598.png

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 3

This seems to be a lot negativity here simply because I asked for some experience with buying aquariums at less than market value.

The tank I mentioned was just an example. I have seen the same thing listed on Amazon, Walmart and few other places at almost triple the price.

I just hoping for a wholesaler or the like. I think my post and my joining was a mistake. I apologize.

Thanks for everyone's input.

All the best

On 2/27/2024 at 4:53 PM, WVWade said:

I think my post and my joining was a mistake.

Your joining and original question was not an issue or a mistake. The issue/mistake is that you got upset and combative because you didn’t get the answer you wanted.  

• Like 3

On 2/27/2024 at 5:53 PM, WVWade said:

This seems to be a lot negativity here simply because I asked for some experience with buying aquariums at less than market value.

The tank I mentioned was just an example. I have seen the same thing listed on Amazon, Walmart and few other places at almost triple the price.

I just hoping for a wholesaler or the like. I think my post and my joining was a mistake. I apologize.

Thanks for everyone's input.

All the best

Like @NOLANANO said, asking for advice is asking for people’s experience, at the end of the day, you were just asking for advice, and at the end of the day also, it is your decision. I am sorry you didn’t get the advice you wanted some might say that is good choice for a good sale with other’s saying no don’t buy that. Your joining is NOT a mistake. This forum is great, but that does not mean you will get all the advice you want. I hope you make a good decision and since you say it sells higher at other places, you can get it if u want, I say that looks good, like the shape and other cool things, I am not saying this to stop u from not following this forum. I hope this was an encouragement tho to stay @WVWade 🙂

Plz update us on the tank u got @WVWade, I am interested in bigger tanks because I don’t have any huge tanks, just nanos. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 9:56 PM, Schuyler said:

Honestly, I have trouble trusting anywhere online for buying tanks. I know they have to get shipped to the store but something about them getting shipped to my house makes me nervous. That's kind of the reason who Aquarium co-op only has their new aquarium in their physical store.

Facebook market, offer up, Craigslist, etc are your best bet for getting a cheap aquarium but those come with their own risks

Considering what the door for my truck looked like after DHL shipped it from Washington State to SC on a pallet I am afraid of what they would do to an aquarium made of glass.

On 2/27/2024 at 2:53 PM, WVWade said:

This seems to be a lot negativity here simply because I asked for some experience with buying aquariums at less than market value

I'm sorry that took the responses as hostility towards you.

That website has a D- rating on BBB

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/sunnyvale/profile/internet-service/aliexpress-1216-230194

Generally speaking, there isn't a place you're going to get wholesale prices unless you buy at wholesale volume.

• Like 2