Can I switch from a hang on back filter to a sponge filter?

Ok I have a hang on back filter and the the tank is cycled, could I switch to a sponge filter? I hear they are super easy but didn’t want to kill bacteria in filter cartridge . This is a 10 gallon topfin all in one setup. Low tech. Thanks 

ps: u can’t really see the filter and water level is low I know but this was maybe 2 months ago during fishless cycle.

40686A5C-B934-4FD2-B13C-2117815A7C2C.jpeg

You can just run the sponge filter for a couple weeks then remove the hob  if it has 2 cartridges remove one than then the other a little while later you will probably get a little bit of ammonia  just watch your levels 

is there a reason you want a sponge instead of what you already have?

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 3:29 PM, face said:

You can just run the sponge filter for a couple weeks then remove the hob  if it has 2 cartridges remove one than then the other a little while later you will probably get a little bit of ammonia  just watch your levels 

is there a reason you want a sponge instead of what you already have?

I just thought it would be better and my hob has hard flow and is a power hob. @face

I will need to watch a vid I guess on HOW to set up, I might not get one tho, not sure but I have had this Q for several months and ya that’s why @face

On 2/16/2024 at 2:59 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Ok I have a hang on back filter and the the tank is cycled, could I switch to a sponge filter?

One of the main advantages of a sponge filter over HOB is that sponge filters are cheaper. Since you already have the HOB, you might as well keep using it. I actually prefer HOBs sometimes because 1. they are easier to clean, 2. they are usually quieter, 3. you can add more media than just foam, 4. they are outside of the tank.

On 2/16/2024 at 2:59 PM, Bigdog99 said:

I hear they are super easy but didn’t want to kill bacteria in filter cartridge .

Don't use cartridges, they are a waste of money and not optimal for beneficial bacteria because you have to replace them periodically. If you haven't already, watch this video below about how you can optimize a hang on back filter. 

On 2/16/2024 at 4:09 PM, Bigdog99 said:

I just thought it would be better and my hob has hard flow and is a power hob. @face

If the filter flow it too high you can 1. fill the tank up higher, 2. buy of build a baffle. 3. get a sponge filter. 4. buffer open water by getting plants. 

If you do still want a sponge filter, like what face said just leave both filters on the tank for a couple weeks and then you can take the HOB off.

• Like 3

On 2/16/2024 at 6:37 PM, macdaddy36 said:

One of the main advantages of a sponge filter over HOB is that sponge filters are cheaper. Since you already have the HOB, you might as well keep using it. I actually prefer HOBs sometimes because 1. they are easier to clean, 2. they are usually quieter, 3. you can add more media than just foam, 4. they are outside of the tank.

Don't use cartridges, they are a waste of money and not optimal for beneficial bacteria because you have to replace them periodically. If you haven't already, watch this video below about how you can optimize a hang on back filter. 

If the filter flow it too high you can 1. fill the tank up higher, 2. buy of build a baffle. 3. get a sponge filter. 4. buffer open water by getting plants. 

If you do still want a sponge filter, like what face said just leave both filters on the tank for a couple weeks and then you can take the HOB off.

Oh ok, thanks I will stick with the HOB. @macdaddy36

I have a sponge filter in every tank, even have them bubbling away in my 125's sump.  Always nice to have a filter ready to go.  I haven't had snails mess up a sponge filter, but eventually they always take out the HOBs.  Especially the all in one included HOBs.  I would have a sponge in there, but that's just me.  It's not required and as stated above, the best filter is the one you already have.

What fish do you have in it?

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2024 at 7:42 AM, jwcarlson said:

I have a sponge filter in every tank, even have them bubbling away in my 125's sump.  Always nice to have a filter ready to go.  I haven't had snails mess up a sponge filter, but eventually they always take out the HOBs.  Especially the all in one included HOBs.  I would have a sponge in there, but that's just me.  It's not required and as stated above, the best filter is the one you already have.

What fish do you have in it?

@jwcarlson, I have 6 white cloud minnows currently with live plants, that’s is it for now 🙂. What do u mean by “taking out the HOBs”? @jwcarlson

On 2/17/2024 at 8:13 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I'll keep my answer short -- Yes. 🙂 

My short response, thanks @tolstoy21! 😁

• Like 1

I would say Hobs are way better in general. You can easily utilise the space the way you want. The circulation is much much better. I find mechanical filteration and circulation of sponge filters very bad personally. The main reason why I have many sponge filters around in the fishroom is, because it is cheaper to buy and run on one big air pump.

I would go for a sponge filter if you really need a very gentle flow(like if you have a long fin dumbo ear male betta for example), or trying to lower your expense(which replacing a HOB isn't it in this case). Oh and ofcourse I love keeping some extra sponge filters around for instant cycling new tanks or carrying it to a quarantine tank or a tank that has cycle issues after using medicine. Another advantage is you can use sponge filters during power outs. But otherwise, HOB wins every other aspect IMO.

• Like 3

I agree that the best solution is to pack the HOB with course sponge blocks.  This will probably cost similar to buying a single sponge filter.  But it will keep the filtration out of the tank itself, which looks somewhat nicer, and is easier to maintain, so you don't need to worry about lifting the sponge out of the tank and spewing gunk everywhere.

If you want to do some water polishing, go to a craft store and get a big bag of Poly-fil. Leave room in top of the HOB compartment and stuff that with a loose clump of Polyfil  It really does help keep the water clear, is easy to change, and very inexpensive. 

All my HOBs have a bag of inexpensive ceramic media in the bottom, the rest is packed to a medium density with Poly-fil (you don't want to over stuff it or it clogs up quickly). This has worked for me for quite some time.

Course sponge on the bottom, rather then ceramic media, also works well for bio filtration, if not better. But it can clog up quicker than ceramic media and slow the flow rate.  For one or two aquariums, no big deal; you'll probably have to rinse the sponge out infrequently.  But if you have a lot of HOBs, it's a bit easier to maintain.

I cannot sing the praises of Poly-fil enough. And this is where I think HOBs shine. You can have more than just sponge in them.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 3

On 2/17/2024 at 7:42 AM, Bigdog99 said:

@jwcarlson, I have 6 white cloud minnows currently with live plants, that’s is it for now 🙂. What do u mean by “taking out the HOBs”? @jwcarlson

The snails take them out overtime.  They get sucked up and the shells grind away/jam the impeller in the pumps.  It's the biggest drawback of snails IMO.  And HOBs (in my experience) just become snail hotels where it's impossible to get them all out of.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:28 AM, jwcarlson said:

The snails take them out overtime.  They get sucked up and the shells grind away/jam the impeller in the pumps

Really. Actually never had that happen. Assuming you’re talking about pest snails. Have mystery snails everywhere. Only 1 tank with pests.

• Like 1

I think the best filter is what you happen to be comfortable with and consistent with. You’re used to taking care of your hob and know what to do with it. Sponges are also great, but they are going to a different set of skills. It’s really all personal preference. They both have pros and cons. 
the difference being right now you have a hob. And would have to buy and learn the sponge, and add an air pump, airline, and check valve. For cartridges, they can be washed out In either tank water or tap water (you’re not going to kill bacteria with a quick rinse). Usually mine last up to 6 months. You can add poly fill behind the cartridge to capture extra fines. 

The other thing that has been mentioned is space. Sponges will take up floor space. In a 10 you already have limited floor space 

Really hobs are fine. I have them in all 14 of mine because mine are scattered throughout my house. The energy use isn’t all that horrible 

• Like 2

I would also recommend packing the HOB with sponge media or putting sponge into the compartments for your all in one.  I haven’t used a cartridge in years and have emerse plants growing out of most of my HOB’s.  The pic below shows a sheet of 30 ppi filter sponge cut to size to fit the compartments of my only all in one tank.  I did replace the pump with a higher flow pump plus enlarged the hole in the outflow apparatus of the tank.  It was definitely a bit restricted.  I kept the frame for this cartridge and put it inside a very fine mesh filter bag to give any shrimplets that make it through or around the filter sponges a shot at continuing to live.

IMG_4810.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Added more info.
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 11:05 AM, Tony s said:

I think the best filter is what you happen to be comfortable with and consistent with. You’re used to taking care of your hob and know what to do with it. Sponges are also great, but they are going to a different set of skills. It’s really all personal preference. They both have pros and cons. 
the difference being right now you have a hob. And would have to buy and learn the sponge, and add an air pump, airline, and check valve. For cartridges, they can be washed out In either tank water or tap water (you’re not going to kill bacteria with a quick rinse). Usually mine last up to 6 months. You can add poly fill behind the cartridge to capture extra fines. 

The other thing that has been mentioned is space. Sponges will take up floor space. In a 10 you already have limited floor space 

Really hobs are fine. I have them in all 14 of mine because mine are scattered throughout my house. The energy use isn’t all that horrible 

Thanks a lot @Tony s, I am very used to HOBs so will stick with it.

On 2/17/2024 at 9:15 AM, Lennie said:

I would say Hobs are way better in general. You can easily utilise the space the way you want. The circulation is much much better. I find mechanical filteration and circulation of sponge filters very bad personally. The main reason why I have many sponge filters around in the fishroom is, because it is cheaper to buy and run on one big air pump.

I would go for a sponge filter if you really need a very gentle flow(like if you have a long fin dumbo ear male betta for example), or trying to lower your expense(which replacing a HOB isn't it in this case). Oh and ofcourse I love keeping some extra sponge filters around for instant cycling new tanks or carrying it to a quarantine tank or a tank that has cycle issues after using medicine. Another advantage is you can use sponge filters during power outs. But otherwise, HOB wins every other aspect IMO.

Thanks a lot @Lennie

On 2/17/2024 at 9:59 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I agree that the best solution is to pack the HOB with course sponge blocks.  This will probably cost similar to buying a single sponge filter.  But it will keep the filtration out of the tank itself, which looks somewhat nicer, and is easier to maintain, so you don't need to worry about lifting the sponge out of the tank and spewing gunk everywhere.

If you want to do some water polishing, go to a craft store and get a big bag of Poly-fil. Leave room in top of the HOB compartment and stuff that with a loose clump of Polyfil  It really does help keep the water clear, is easy to change, and very inexpensive. 

All my HOBs have a bag of inexpensive ceramic media in the bottom, the rest is packed to a medium density with Poly-fil (you don't want to over stuff it or it clogs up quickly). This has worked for me for quite some time.

Course sponge on the bottom, rather then ceramic media, also works well for bio filtration, if not better. But it can clog up quicker than ceramic media and slow the flow rate.  For one or two aquariums, no big deal; you'll probably have to rinse the sponge out infrequently.  But if you have a lot of HOBs, it's a bit easier to maintain.

I cannot sing the praises of Poly-fil enough. And this is where I think HOBs shine. You can have more than just sponge in them.

Wow, thanks for the time of posting that, I am glad people are SO helpful on this forum. Best forum ever!

On 2/17/2024 at 10:13 AM, Tanked said:

You can also wash the HOB cartridges out if you have decent water pressure at the sink or a garden hose.  They can last for months or longer.

Yes I uselly soak in water from the water I take out of tank during water change and I quick rinse it.

On 2/17/2024 at 2:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

I would also recommend packing the HOB with sponge media or putting sponge into the compartments for your all in one.  I haven’t used a cartridge in years and have emerse plants growing out of most of my HOB’s.  The pic below shows a sheet of 30 ppi filter sponge cut to size to fit the compartments of my only all in one tank.  I did replace the pump with a higher flow pump plus enlarged the hole in the outflow apparatus of the tank.  It was definitely a bit restricted.  I kept the frame for this cartridge and put it inside a very fine mesh filter bag to give any shrimplets that make it through or around the filter sponges a shot at continuing to live.

IMG_4810.jpeg

Thanks @Odd Duck!!!! So helpful! Will look into these media’s and the what not!

• Like 1