Pygmy Cory Breeding

Liam

Cool water changes will trigger a lot of times. Have some moss or other similar plants in the tank. Do water change with cooler water, they'll lay eggs in the plants, then you can either pull plants to hatch in a separate container or net the adults out and leave plants in tank. I've never left the parents in with eggs and fry so I'm not sure if they'd eat the eggs or fry.

Mine laid their eggs all over the tank, on Guppy Grass, stem plants, Crypts and the glass. The eggs are quite easy to roll off the surface they're on and I just transferred to a small container where I added anti fungal (methylene blue) and an air stone.

When they hatched I moved them (actually pipette'ed them) them to a larger container with an air driven filter, some plants and a little sand. Had most success when I fed them decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

My pigmy cories lay eggs as soon as I feed them live black worms, and only when I feed them live black worms.  I’ve never been able to get the eggs to hatch, but I can get them to spawn when I feed them live black worms.

I think my water may be too hard/high PH for the eggs to get properly fertilized and hatched.  I keep meaning to get them in softer water and try again, but the black worms got hard to get in my area, so I haven’t tried again recently.

Does anyone know if hard water and high PH will keep Cory eggs from hatching?  My water is super hard ( 350+PPM) and the PH is 8+.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hamlet10 said:

My pigmy cories lay eggs as soon as I feed them live black worms, and only when I feed them live black worms.  I’ve never been able to get the eggs to hatch, but I can get them to spawn when I feed them live black worms.

I have had the same experience as @hamlet10. Once I started feeding live blackworms, spawning soon followed.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 11:04 AM, Irene said:

Cute! I've never bred pygmy cories specifically, but I got my albino cories to breed by fattening them up with lots of Repashy gel food. Might work for them as well.

Good idea!