Paint for tank stands.

TeeJay

I'm not sure what you mean "a paint suited better for this application," since the only thing you mentioned is the color.  Did you mean is black the best choice?  If yes, that depends on you.

If you are asking about what kind of paint to use, I'd probably use a semi-gloss enamel.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 1:44 PM, JettsPapa said:

I'm not sure what you mean "a paint suited better for this application," since the only thing you mentioned is the color.  Did you mean is black the best choice?  If yes, that depends on you.

If you are asking about what kind of paint to use, I'd probably use a semi-gloss enamel.

Right like acrylic enamel latex that "type" of paint lol

On 2/9/2024 at 6:56 PM, TeeJay said:

Right like acrylic enamel latex that "type" of paint lol

It depends on the look you want. if you want it high gloss and tough, slick surfaces, then enamel. latex would be softer surfaced and softer sheened

You could do outdoor deck stain, that wood show the grain, even if black. and be waterproof

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alternative to black maybe ? 😁Whenever I use wood stands for my aquariums I use polyurethane.  Helmsman’s makes good stuff and the natural wood looks great and hides water marks vs colored paint that chips and shows water marks. I had a stand I used back in 1998. In 2004 I sat it outside as a table to hold plants.  It sat through 2 years of snow and sun.  I washed it down with soap and water before bringing it back in and it still looked great. I used 3 coats and steal wool/ tack cloth between coats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:21 PM, Guppysnail said:

Alternative to black maybe ? 😁Whenever I use wood stands for my aquariums I use polyurethane.  Helmsman’s makes good stuff and the natural wood looks great and hides water marks vs colored paint that chips and shows water marks. I had a stand I used back in 1998. In 2004 I sat it outside as a table to hold plants.  It sat through 2 years of snow and sun.  I washed it down with soap and water before bringing it back in and it still looked great. I used 3 coats and steal wool/ tack cloth between coats. 

Yeah I mean I'm leaning to black in color. Since my cabinet in the dinning room where they are going is black as well. I guess just whatever is the best all around durable at a fair price. You know I'm not asking for much lol. I just don't want to leave them plain 2x4s 

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 7:21 PM, Guppysnail said:

Whenever I use wood stands for my aquariums I use polyurethane

You know, you could use stain to color it and then use polyurethane to finish it. That would make a very nice finish. The wife would be happy with that. Almost professional looking.

I believe most outdoor deck stains have polyurethane imbedded in anyway, but regular stain and top coats of poly would be a better look.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Come to think of, that's exactly how we did the doors and trim in our house. been 20 years since, I didn't even think about that. Which is weird, since we built everything (literally by hand) but the exterior brick.

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 11:23 AM, Tlindsey said:

I personally used Behr brand deck stain

That was my first thought. Works really great. But for the dining room the stain/polyurethane method is closer to finish grade. That and it takes a bit more time, puttering around and all. Adds a project in the step. Which is not a bad thing. Gives something else that’s also fun to do.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 12:01 PM, Tony s said:

That was my first thought. Works really great. But for the dining room the stain/polyurethane method is closer to finish grade. That and it takes a bit more time, puttering around and all. Adds a project in the step. Which is not a bad thing. Gives something else that’s also fun to do.

We used Behr on our deck.  We were worried using the super thick boat varnish type helmsman I who am naturally clumsy would slip and kill myself 🤣

The deck held great for 5 years before beginning to lose finish.  I bet indoors it would last indefinitely 

On 2/10/2024 at 11:23 AM, Tlindsey said:

I definitely like @Guppysnail and @Tony s suggested I personally used Behr brand deck stain for a 180 gallon stand build. I don't have to worry about water and wood issues. 

We used Behr on our deck.  We were worried using the super thick boat varnish type helmsman I who am naturally clumsy would slip and kill myself 🤣

The deck held great for 5 years before beginning to lose finish.  I bet indoors it would last indefinitely 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 12:22 PM, Guppysnail said:

Oh, I agree completely, but…. Dining room.  He probably better ask the wife. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 8:01 PM, Tony s said:

You know, you could use stain to color it and then use polyurethane to finish it. That would make a very nice finish. The wife would be happy with that. Almost professional looking.

I believe most outdoor deck stains have polyurethane imbedded in anyway, but regular stain and top coats of poly would be a better look.

This is exactly what I did 

• Love 1