Advice

On 2/1/2024 at 8:02 PM, Khole new fish said:

What can I use for snail calcium, can I use chewable tablets 

Crushed coral.

I have also tried washed Oyster shells used for Chicken feed…

IMG_7337.jpeg.570ee040b1070d1fe578f7ab88eae16e.jpeg

I ought to add… I am not really sure that these provide Calcium, per say, but in my soft water they help improve snail health.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:06 PM, Fish Folk said:

Crushed coral.

I ought to add… I am not really sure that these provide Calcium, per se, but in my soft water they help improve snail health.

Absolutely adds calcium. The question is how soluble is it 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

We use calcium carbonate and dicalcium phosphate in animal feed. I wonder if that would work in a mesh bag. I have 50+ tons just sitting around. Ph shouldn’t be that affected. By kh might go off the scale 

On 2/2/2024 at 6:36 AM, Fish Folk said:

Crushed coral.

I ought to add… I am not really sure that these provide Calcium, per say, but in my soft water they help improve snail health. 

The product seems good, I want to use that.

Edit: I ordered it and it is worth buying.

Edited by MontanaJohns
  • Like 1

Zoo Med makes something called Dr Turtle that I like. I suspect it's similar to Wonder Shell

Are we talking "I have a few snails and want to make sure they get enough calcium" or "my tank is overrun with snails and I need to add a metric butt-ton of calcium"? 

Look up recipes for "snello" (homemade snail jello, like repashy for snails, without the hefty price tag). I used to keep a hugely overstocked snail tank and that was the main food, and the main calcium source. Most recipes use powdered calcium carbonate, which you can get in health food stores/suppliers (and amazon of course). The price per use or per feeding is very low. My snails, shrimps and plecos all loved it (fish food is another main ingredient). I would also add aragonite to the substrate, unwashed. 

If you have a lot of snails, that represents a lot of biomass to support, and that means they need a lot of calcium. So keep an eye on your kh and ph. If you see extensive pitting or erosion or thin shell growth, that's a sign that the calcium is low or missing from the water, or being used up as soon as it's added or available. Calcium is important in buffering pH, so no calcium, watch out for pH crash. But if you don't have a ton of snails, not likely to be an issue. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 7:02 PM, Khole new fish said:

What can I use for snail calcium, can I use chewable tablets 

Hikari makes a crustacean sinking pellet that I used for a while before I accidentally killed all my shrimp.

• Like 1

I use cuttlebone for my shrimp & snails. I just put it at the back of the aquarium behind a plant and put a rock on it so it doesn't float. You can stick them in your filter if you want. They will dissolve into the water column over time.

Edited by Dacotua
  • Like 2