Someone help? I used to have 4 oto in my tank but 2 died and 1 went missing (most likely dead too but I couldn't find the body in the tank), so I pretty much have just this one oto left. 

Anyway, last few days ago, I noticed that my oto has gone really fat, before the belly was just plump but now it's so round and bulging I'm really worried. There was one time when I saw it pooping a really long brown poop, that's gone past it's tail. I thought maybe before it was just constipated and now after that long poop the belly would decrease in size...but it didn't and it seems it's gone fatter.

I don't know is it because the oto has just got a lot of food available for it to eat and it's gone fat, or has it got dropsy? 

Here's a pic of the long poop:

P_20240124_173627.jpg.37f664eeb28eeecc197742853004e5dd.jpg

Side and bottom view of my oto:

P_20240125_170132.jpg.bd4cdcab4465a778da3eca1000576f10.jpgP_20240125_170050.jpg.37517c74aeeb9ddcdc2b3a2ddc35e35b.jpg

• Sad 2

That is parasite/bacteria, he will be gone in few hours. Had that happened to most my wild caught, I suspect their water bacteria or their food is different than what we give them and their gut cant handle it. Dont buy more otos. All are wild caught and have a 80% mortality rate. It is sad

• Sad 1

Hi guys, just a quick update/replies to your messages.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:33 AM, beastie said:

That is parasite/bacteria, he will be gone in few hours. Had that happened to most my wild caught, I suspect their water bacteria or their food is different than what we give them and their gut cant handle it. Dont buy more otos. All are wild caught and have a 80% mortality rate. It is sad

Yea, I wasn't thinking of buying any more, as I feel like more will just die after awhile in my tank.

So far my oto is still moving around, but I have noticed a small red line in the belly near the tail 😞it looks like as if the belly has gotten bigger and stretched one of it's veins.P_20240126_183721.jpg.657bb5a4f8f1e0a67499aec24082787b.jpg

I do think it's only a matter of time before I'll find it laying on the bottom of my tank one morning...  😢 I saw it lay on the sand a few times today. My previous oto was like that too and one or two days later it died. 

On 1/27/2024 at 12:25 AM, Colu said:

What are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH temperature what are you feeding and how often @CarolineT

I replace 25% of my water weekly and all the water parameters are within the safe zone. I don't specifically feed it any food as it doesn't really eat it, but I do have a catappa bark at the bottom where it likes to lay there every now and then, along with my Amano shrimps. It may happen to eat some of the smaller bits of algae wafers and fish flakes that have fallen onto the bark. I feed my fishes twice a day and only feed the algae wafers every so often as my guppies tend to eat it before my shrimps can get to them🤦🏻‍♀️ 

P_20240126_113411.jpg.61f203519c830923338dfe9a0b1009b3.jpg

Another quick update:

My oto belly seems to have gone down in size for a bit😃 even the red vein is gone. Before, it looked like it was a balloon that was gonna explode, now it has finally deflated for a bit. P_20240128_141716.jpg.ae061ea3e93860681a928f79ef5d0bee.jpg

It went hiding at the back all day yesterday and I was so worried that it might have died quietly in a hidden corner, but I was so happy to see it again today. It still likes to lay flat on the wood and the sand but I do see it's mouth moving so thank god for that. 

P_20240128_142329.jpg.ec7b1901bf34bc47d7165353a59fc11d.jpg

On 1/28/2024 at 1:47 PM, CarolineT said:

Ok, thank you for the suggestion ☺️ 

No problem, I've had gold fish and bettas that suddenly got fat.

After using fritz aquatics bacteria medicine, the swelling went down and they are now doing great!

Also, fritz aquatics has a fungal medication to. It might be a good ideas to use both if the oto gets worse

On 1/28/2024 at 6:50 PM, JS Fish said:

No problem, I've had gold fish and bettas that suddenly got fat.

After using fritz aquatics bacteria medicine, the swelling went down and they are now doing great!

Also, fritz aquatics has a fungal medication to. It might be a good ideas to use both if the oto gets worse

Oh, thank you! I haven't tried any medication as I wasn't sure what's wrong with it and what to get. But I'll definitely have a look at those medicines.