Columnaris?

jwcarlson

Well, this may have started as a sparing injury, but it is certainly beyond that now.

This poor guy has been reclusive and hiding in a cave since isolating him, but today he was out and I got a better look.

It's fuzzy and I am not sure how well the pics will show that it is quite raised.  Looking over tankmate from this pair it also has a small white spot.  Played with some things on the best picture to show what looks almost like little threads coming out.  Hard to see.  In isolation with Maracyn now.  Maracyn in tank with the other fish as well.

Been a brutal few weeks with my fish, like someone went around putting stuff in my tanks trying to start outbreaks.20231211_165514.jpg.d941531a0771476dc29840faaf8f3124.jpg

20231211_165905.jpg.3590619cb47916416059745be12ee1a9.jpg

• Sad 1

I’m not one of the medical advice folks so you may want to wait for them to chime in. @Colu @Odd Duck

Fir all external injuries, fungus, suspected culmanaris I use kanaplax in water and jungle fungus fizz tabs (nitrofurazone). 

It rarely fails me and does not wipe out my bio filter. 

Hope your kids get better. Looks more like a fungus on an injury to me. Again wait for those two to chime in a more educated advice. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, jwcarlson said:

Well, this may have started as a sparing injury, but it is certainly beyond that now.

This poor guy has been reclusive and hiding in a cave since isolating him, but today he was out and I got a better look.

It's fuzzy and I am not sure how well the pics will show that it is quite raised.  Looking over tankmate from this pair it also has a small white spot.  Played with some things on the best picture to show what looks almost like little threads coming out.  Hard to see.  In isolation with Maracyn now.  Maracyn in tank with the other fish as well.

Been a brutal few weeks with my fish, like someone went around putting stuff in my tanks trying to start outbreaks.20231211_165514.jpg.d941531a0771476dc29840faaf8f3124.jpg

20231211_165905.jpg.3590619cb47916416059745be12ee1a9.jpg

looks like an injury with possible secondary fungal infections if it has a fuzzy appearance that's not showing on the picture what I would do is treat with ick X along with maracyn  that an effective treatment for fungal infections 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 11:44 AM, Colu said:

I would also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

I had salt in but not that much.  Water changed tonight and went with nitrofurizone and kanamycin and upped the salt to 3 tbs in the 10 gallon.  The fungus was bigger today, I think it is causing him the difficulty staying upright.  He found a good resting spot in some anubias and I killed the lights so hopefully he is at least a bit better in the morning.  He's hanging in there somehow.

20231212_191138.jpg.648e59f93bfc8bac09d0b92e40f1ce96.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 1:37 AM, jwcarlson said:

I had salt in but not that much.  Water changed tonight and went with nitrofurizone and kanamycin and upped the salt to 3 tbs in the 10 gallon.  The fungus was bigger today, I think it is causing him the difficulty staying upright.  He found a good resting spot in some anubias and I killed the lights so hopefully he is at least a bit better in the morning.  He's hanging in there somehow.

20231212_191138.jpg.648e59f93bfc8bac09d0b92e40f1ce96.jpg

Nitrofurazone is effective at treating some types of dermal fungus if the fungus is spreading I would up the salt to 1 table spoon for 2 gallons coupled with the nitrofurazone and kanaplex hopefully you will start to see some improvement 

On 12/13/2023 at 2:14 AM, jwcarlson said:

@Colu It isn't spreading, but it does seem to be getting longer.  I initially thought this could have been anchor worms because there are individual strands coming out from the white spot.  But now it's gotten more dense at the base.

With what your describing I would up to salt to level I recommended could be saprolegniasas that a water mold 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 8:47 PM, Colu said:

With what your describing I would up to salt to level I recommended could be saprolegniasas that a water mold 

Looking at some pictures, it does look quite a bit like that.  Can I spot treat with methylene blue?  Or do a dip?  I would guess IchX might be effective against it, but didn't see any improvement after 24 hours with that in the tank.  

I'll go add some more salt for the night and see how things look in the AM.

Thanks, Colu!

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:02 AM, jwcarlson said:

Looking at some pictures, it does look quite a bit like that.  Can I spot treat with methylene blue?  Or do a dip?  I would guess Ich X might be effective against it, but didn't see any improvement after 24 hours with that in the tank.  

I'll go add some more salt for the night and see how things look in the AM.

Thanks, Colu!

Malachite green the active ingredient in ick X is effective at treating saprolegniasas or you could do a methylene blue bath or spot treat him  in his weaken state the stress of capturing him to do baths might push him over the edge  

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, jwcarlson said:

Looks marginally better this morning, the fuzz spot seemed smaller and maybe less fuzzy.  Agree that a dip might put him over the edge.  Will see what it's like this afternoon.  

saprolegniasas does have a high mortality rate even with the appropriate treatment it's a good that it looks smaller that means it's responding to the treatment fingers crossed for a good out come 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with all from @Colu.  If he counties to improve and isn’t terrible to catch, you can do a spot treatment with Ich-X.  If he cooperates, doing the slow jazz-hand guide into the net is the least stressful way of catching that I’ve found.  Have a cotton-tipped swab ready with the Ich-X already on it so he’s only caught for a few moments.  Catch, swab, immediate release.

• Like 1

He looked rough this afternoon, thought he might be dead.  Netted him and he seemed to be fairly lively.  I did exactly like @Odd Duck suggested, but I used methylene blue (this was about an hour ago so I hadn't read this).

Maybe that was the wrong call.  It was not too stressful and got him right back in.  I didn't think to use IchX which is the next bottle over. 😞 dang.

On 12/14/2023 at 1:13 AM, jwcarlson said:

He looked rough this afternoon, thought he might be dead.  Netted him and he seemed to be fairly lively.  I did exactly like @Odd Duck suggested, but I used methylene blue (this was about an hour ago so I hadn't read this).

Maybe that was the wrong call.  It was not too stressful and got him right back in.  I didn't think to use IchX which is the next bottle over. 😞 dang.

Methylene blue is also fine to use as a spot treatment for saprolegniasa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 9:09 PM, jwcarlson said:

He has survived a few hours.  The fungus or mold must be dyed blue because I can no longer see it.

Would repeating this process be advantageous daily or should I just let things play out?

I would repeat every other day until convinced he has fully healed.

• Thanks 1

He's still alive, his equilibrium is all messed up as it has been.  But he seemed to be a little different even if I wouldn't say better.  I'll probably do a water change tonight and then dose IchX and salt... or maybe just give him clean water and then do another direct application of either IchX or methylene blue tomorrow afternoon.  The fuzz was still dyed dark this morning, so I can't really get a good look at it.  I will say that I thought his color looked a little better this morning.  He's been very dark, but he had a bit more brightness to him.  I keep expecting him to be dead every morning, and perhaps that would be a mercy for him.  But as long as he's willing to keep fighting I'll pull out whatever stops I can for him.  

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:38 AM, jwcarlson said:

This has fallen off.  I am not sure if he has any additional spots but where this was coming out of looks pretty good.  He is still fighting equilibrium a lot.  

20231214_183309.jpg.712fb5ccefd8f84146d5294a5b375d6c.jpg

Hopefully he will start to turn a corner 

• Like 1