Hello from Colorado!

KoeIC

Hello!Ā šŸ˜ƒ

I am super excited to join this forum. I have been searching for something like this for quite some time now and Iā€™m not sure why I didnā€™t find it sooner!Ā 
Iā€™d like to just introduce myself. Iā€™m a young, new, hobbyist from Colorado. This all started in October when my little sister won a common goldfish from her homecoming carnival and was keeping him in a Tupperware container šŸ«¤. She asked me if I wanted the fish, I said no. She texted my boyfriend who I live with and he said yes šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø. So we got the fish. The poor little guy lived in a very large candy jar for about 5 days until I had the funds to get him a 10 gallon tank. We had a rough start getting into the hobby for sure, and weā€™re still struggling with proper care and what not. Google gives so many different answers and opinions. However, since then, weā€™ve acquired a 60 gallon tank, 5 total goldfish, and 2 common plecos. Whereas, recently, Iā€™ve started doing research BEFORE even touching the tank. Thereā€™s SO much to know and SO much to learn. And goldfish are hard!Ā 
Before I introduce the fish, just know that YES I have read the risks of keeping different goldfish breeds and common plecos in the same tank behavior wise. After almost 2 months, Iā€™ve been lucky enough to not have any problems. Also, Iā€™d like to disclose that we have inappropriate names for our fish but also PG nicknames for them. Iā€™ll keep it PG šŸ¤£ I have not gotten my tank to become low maintenance at ALL and I struggle weekly with it and I am here in hopes of good advice and knowledge. Suddenly fighting the nitrogen cycle, ich, and fin rot šŸ˜•. Now to the fish-

1- we have Freddy, the common goldfish who has grown at least 2cm in 2 months.Ā 
2- Chonkers, our Ryukin??? Goldfish. Maybe you can help me exactly identify her type because our pet stores call them all different.Ā 
3- BJ (Bubbles), red cap??? Oranda Goldfish. Heā€™s my lovey baby. He just does his own thing.Ā 
4- Po (like from Kung Fu Panda), the Panda moor goldfish. LOVES watching people outside the tank.Ā 
5- Ebony, our black moor (butterfly tail??) goldfish. Every water change she stays very close to my hands in the tank and was the first to snack on an algae wafer from my hand.Ā 
6&7- Gluck and Gluck, the little common plecos. They just do pleco things.Ā 
Ā 

I apologize for the long post, I feel like everytime I talk about the tank, itā€™sā€¦ a long story! ā˜ŗļø I caught the ā€œfish bugā€ I think someone else called it. Ā Thank you for having me.Ā 

IMG_4839.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

IMG_4783.jpeg

IMG_4714.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/7/2023 at 8:49 PM, KCobbl said:

Hello!Ā šŸ˜ƒ

I am super excited to join this forum. I have been searching for something like this for quite some time now and Iā€™m not sure why I didnā€™t find it sooner!Ā 
Iā€™d like to just introduce myself. Iā€™m a young, new, hobbyist from Colorado. This all started in October when my little sister won a common goldfish from her homecoming carnival and was keeping him in a Tupperware container šŸ«¤. She asked me if I wanted the fish, I said no. She texted my boyfriend who I live with and he said yes šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø. So we got the fish. The poor little guy lived in a very large candy jar for about 5 days until I had the funds to get him a 10 gallon tank. We had a rough start getting into the hobby for sure, and weā€™re still struggling with proper care and what not. Google gives so many different answers and opinions. However, since then, weā€™ve acquired a 60 gallon tank, 5 total goldfish, and 2 common plecos. Whereas, recently, Iā€™ve started doing research BEFORE even touching the tank. Thereā€™s SO much to know and SO much to learn. And goldfish are hard!Ā 
Before I introduce the fish, just know that YES I have read the risks of keeping different goldfish breeds and common plecos in the same tank behavior wise. After almost 2 months, Iā€™ve been lucky enough to not have any problems. Also, Iā€™d like to disclose that we have inappropriate names for our fish but also PG nicknames for them. Iā€™ll keep it PG šŸ¤£ I have not gotten my tank to become low maintenance at ALL and I struggle weekly with it and I am here in hopes of good advice and knowledge. Suddenly fighting the nitrogen cycle, ich, and fin rot šŸ˜•. Now to the fish-

1- we have Freddy, the common goldfish who has grown at least 2cm in 2 months.Ā 
2- Chonkers, our Ryukin??? Goldfish. Maybe you can help me exactly identify her type because our pet stores call them all different.Ā 
3- BJ (Bubbles), red cap??? Oranda Goldfish. Heā€™s my lovey baby. He just does his own thing.Ā 
4- Po (like from Kung Fu Panda), the Panda moor goldfish. LOVES watching people outside the tank.Ā 
5- Ebony, our black moor (butterfly tail??) goldfish. Every water change she stays very close to my hands in the tank and was the first to snack on an algae wafer from my hand.Ā 
6&7- Gluck and Gluck, the little common plecos. They just do pleco things.Ā 
Ā 

I apologize for the long post, I feel like everytime I talk about the tank, itā€™sā€¦ a long story! ā˜ŗļø I caught the ā€œfish bugā€ I think someone else called it. Ā Thank you for having me.Ā 

IMG_4839.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

IMG_4783.jpeg

IMG_4714.jpeg

image.jpg

@KCobblĀ Welcome aboard!

• Like 1

Tupperware to a 60 gallon with friends, that's quite the transition!

Welcome aboard! Colorado is a beautiful place. I lived in Parker and Canon City for a while

Have you considered growing plants out of your aquarium. Like pothos, peace lily, or spider plants? It would help remove nitrogen from your tank

• Like 2

@SchuylerĀ Thank you! Ā Unfortunately the first little guy had a rough time getting started but if we were going to be goldfish people my heart couldnā€™t keep them in a small tank šŸ˜‚Ā 

I am slowly considering plants. Iā€™ve been watching a lot of ACO for plants. šŸ˜ƒ

• Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 5:39 AM, KCobbl said:

I am slowly considering plants. Iā€™ve been watching a lot of ACO for plants.

The one thing with goldfish is that they'll eat most plants you put in there so your best bet is something tough like anubias or something where only the roots are in the tank

• Like 1

No kidding! Thatā€™s awesome. Thank you for the information!! Iā€™m about 60 miles from Denver, North Eastern Colorado (where itā€™s boring). For my boyfriend and Iā€™s anniversary this year we went to Fish Den in Westminster to get our black moor and panda moor. I LOVE that store. Unfortunately, nothing much out my way so Denver area is the go to.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, @KoeIC! Ā So glad you have joined! Ā For me, one of the joys of keeping aquariums is the journey to getting the ecosystem in good shape so that the fish are doing well, water is clear, and plants are growing. Ā Goldfish have a reputation for being tough on plants. Ā One option would be to try floating plants (since the goldfish then won't be able to uproot them). Ā Happy plants do a good job of feeding on the tank waste that can ultimately harm fish, if the quantity of waste is too high. Ā They can also look nice. Ā Gold fish can also east some of the floating plants (such as duckweed). Ā Enjoy!!