Reducing algae—when to replace sponge filter

Nanci B

Hey everyone, 

I am working on reducing my extreme algae problem (mostly hair). I just changed/lessened  my light schedule on my Fluval Plant 3.0. I have a 75 g planted tank with mostly crypts, a few swords; that’s it. Once the algae is lessened I will add stem plants. I currently have 2 sponge filters in the tank. They are both infested with algae and I think they need to be replaced. However, from what I understand, they also have the most bb in the tank. 

i am wondering when I should replace them. I am going to get an HOB filter and add used media to help the tank and when the algae is lessened I will add new sponge filters to the tank. . When is the best time to replace the sponge filters? 

TIA. Nanci 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:34 PM, Nanci B said:

I just changed/lessened  my light schedule on my Fluval Plant 3.0.

Please feel free to share photos of what you're seeing as well as your changes if you wish!

i am wondering when I should replace them. I am going to get an HOB filter and add used media to help the tank and when the algae is lessened I will add new sponge filters to the tank. . When is the best time to replace the sponge filters? 

If you're adding the HoB, add that in and then give it something like 2-4 weeks before pulling the old filtration.  That would be my technique.

They are both infested with algae and I think they need to be replaced. However, from what I understand, they also have the most bb in the tank. 

You can pull one and the other should be able to handle the load and keep the tank cycled.  Whenever you pull it though, add in the new filter or your HoB and it should help get things going.

Question though, how fully stocked is the tank in question?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@nabokovfan87 Thanks for the input. I will do that. I will start taking pictures tomorrow (day 2 of new lights), although the plants are covered in hair algae. The plants have been growing well. I just purchased a new algae scraper (couldn’t find the other half of it). I got a different one.  From Hygger. The scrapper works fantastic. And started dosing Easy Green again. 

Hopefully these things will make a difference. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 11:34 PM, Nanci B said:

Once the algae is lessened I will add stem plants.

If I may suggest, if you can manually remove* as much hair algae as possible, enough to clear a planting area in the substrate and enough to allow sufficient light to come through to the stems, don't wait to plant those stems. I've planted lightly and I've planted heavily, and the more total plant biomass you've got, especially fast growing plants like stems (generalizing here), the less likely you'll have the algae come back.

*I found twirling with a toothbrush like spaghetti works pretty well.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2023 at 4:34 PM, Galabar said:

For the sponge filter, I wouldn't throw it away.  You can simply dry it out, or use the "Reverse Respiration" technique to kill the algae.

@Galabar is correct that Reverse Respiration will kill the algae but it will not remove it. I find for inanimate object straight hydrogen peroxide from the grocery works better at disintegrating the algae and making it easier to remove. It’s much harsher than RR but for inanimate objects peroxide is much faster. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2023 at 1:43 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Galabar is correct that Reverse Respiration will kill the algae but it will not remove it. I find for inanimate object straight hydrogen peroxide from the grocery works better at disintegrating the algae and making it easier to remove. It’s much harsher than RR but for inanimate objects peroxide is much faster. 

Can a sponge filter also stand up to bleach? That might be another thing to try...

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2023 at 4:50 PM, Galabar said:

Can a sponge filter also stand up to bleach? That might be another thing to try...

I will not use bleach anywhere in my hobby. The dangers are too high and reward too little so I cannot answer that question. 

Both seltzer and hydrogen peroxide break down to plain water so there is no risk. No money spent on chlorine removers and no worries the dechlorinator did not remove it completely. 

I believe someone on the forum recently lost fish due to bleach and it not being completely removed. I’m not able to remember if they used dechlorinators though. 

@Nanci B algae is a continuous battle. Some form of algae will always be there. The name of the game is how to reduce as much of it as possible. Light, nutrients, stocking, clean up crew, plant load, filtration all play a part in a well balanced aquarium. Myself I like low tech setups with snails and shrimp and floating plants to help reduce algae. Then I play with my lighting and nutrients to dial it in even more. What is your light schedule and what nutrients are you using? What substrate and stocking do you have? Pictures would help.