Metal framed aquarium

Recently found this beaut in a storage unit I am clearing out. Looks to be a 9 or 10 gallon. Anybody else use tanks like this? Anybody want tanks like this? There were others (40 breeders) in the unit with metal frames too. I've only seen tanks like this, in books from the 70's.....

20231023_113300.jpg

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/23/2023 at 2:44 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Recently found this beaut in a storage unit I am clearing out. Looks to be a 9 or 10 gallon. Anybody else use tanks like this? Anybody want tanks like this? There were others (40 breeders) in the unit with metal frames too. I've only seen tanks like this, in books from the 70's.....

20231023_113300.jpg

I had a few of these about 15 years ago and sold them for a pretty penny when I was moving cross country and did not want to risk it. Some of mine were the smaller ones with slate bottoms, which may technically be more valuable, but they were all popular and sold super fast to people who like vintage styles, even the one with cracked glass.

I also started with a metal frame, slate bottom tank in the mid 70’s and it was older when I got it.  The slate bottoms will sometimes start leaking right through the stone, so it isn’t only about sealing the edges sometimes.  You can drop a piece of glass down into the bottom on top of the slate and seal around that if the tank is otherwise worth saving.

Metal frame tanks are very nostalgic for many and can often be sold for far more than expected to the right buyer.  Especially the 40 breeder size since those are quite uncommon to find with the slate bottoms these days.  The slightly newer glass bottoms were easier to keep sealed, but the older, slate bottom tanks are more sought after now.  You’re not likely to get rich selling them, but if you find the right buyer for those tanks it might fund your hobby for a bit.  Nice little find!

I also had the slate bottomed model in the 70's.  My brother had the newer glass bottom. His became a woodland tableau/nightlight in my mother's room for many decades.  I wish that I had kept it and the matching lights.

I'm storing a 55 gallon curb find that has issues with the slate, and I am almost ready to admit that I'm not going to repair it. 

Playing on @Odd Duck's idea of adding a piece of glass to the slate bottom got me to wondering if liquid resin would accomplish the same thing with less work and expense?  I haven't priced the glass, but a smaller piece for my baker's rack cost $40.

In a few more weeks, one of my curb finds is supposed to become a terrarium.

• Love 1