Subwassertang scaping

It if grows for you, just slowly spread it around the aquarium substrate. It will end up looking like a spongy carpet of sorts. I find that whenever I try to propagate it, it hates me and fails. But if I forget about it for 6 months, it grows wonderfully.

[ now... NERM alert 🤓 🌱... ]

As a very minor grammar matter... the name of this plant is derived from German spelling: Süßwassertang however, the third letter there is the letter Eszett (ß) which is a lowercase for the sound which in English is "ss." So, the _correct_ English spelling for Lomariopsis lineata is: "Susswassertang."

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/19/2023 at 12:24 PM, theotheragentm said:

Other than tying it down to wood/rocks, has anyone actually tried to carpet with it? I've seen people mention carpets, but I've been at a loss to try and find a photo or video showing this.

If you want to carpet the plant, I would think the best way would be to use something like an UGF plate and use that to anchor it to the substrate.  That being said, I think it does a lot better on grids and on the sides of the tank as opposed to other places.  I would only tie it, the times when I tried to glue it didn't end well.  It grew, but eventually came off.

• Like 1

I have a very large clump that has been growing in an abandoned aquarium that only gets crummy office light, and I was thinking of a project with a no light setup that would only get natural light. I've seen people speak about carpets, but I've never see a photo of one. I think I'm going to string it to some decorations and go with balls of plant instead of a carpet.

On 10/19/2023 at 3:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

It if grows for you, just slowly spread it around the aquarium substrate. It will end up looking like a spongy carpet of sorts. I find that whenever I try to propagate it, it hates me and fails. But if I forget about it for 6 months, it grows wonderfully.

As a very minor grammar matter... the name of this plant is derived from German spelling: Süßwassertang however, the third letter there is the letter Eszett (ß) which is a lowercase for the sound which in English is "ss." So, the _correct_ English spelling for Lomariopsis lineata is: "Susswassertang."

I actually made a post in the ACO FB group about the spelling of the plant too lol. It's always odd to me when people spell the eszett as a b. I understand why they do but it just doesn't compute in my head. 

• Like 3

On 10/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

Same! If I leave it be, it looks beautiful. If I try to do anything to it, it gets mad at me and pouts. 

• Haha 2

Somebody posted a video on here a while back where a guy tied Suss to cords that were tied to something at the top of,his tank and anchored to a rock or other weight.  He essentially made a nearly solid green wall across the back of,his tank with the “Suss on a string”.  I just saw the tank again in the background on another video that was posted.  Was that you, @nabokovfan87?  I know you’re the king of video links.  😉 Maybe they were MD Fishtanks vids?

After a few months mine attached itself to everything and grew prolifically in large clumps.  For me the downside was it attracts debris and if I vac'd and disturbed it, it would break off in bits and establish itself in other places.  I was always having to clean the HOB filter tubes.  Now that the novelty has grown off, I've  of cleaned the tanks of it!