NEW Co-Op Thing: Sponge Filter Jetlifter Kit

nabokovfan87

For those who may not have seen it....  Get your clickers ready.

*Launching Q1 of 2024* If you need greater water circulation from your Aquarium Co-Op sponge filter, try the Easy Flow accessory. By lengthening and curving the uplift tube, water flows out of the sponge filter horizontally across the water surface, increasing the current in the fish tank.

The Easy Flow sponge filter upgrade kit also comes with an air collar that attaches to the base of the uplift tube. The airline tubing connects to this air collar, which creates smaller bubbles much like an air stone. These little bubbles help to create more continuous flow and optimize the sponge filter's performance.

If you already own an Aquarium Co-Op sponge filter, use the Easy Flow attachments to improve circulation in your tanks. It works with our small, medium, and large sponge filters, as well as nano sponge filters that were made after 2023.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/filtration/products/easy-flow-sponge-filter-upgrade-kit

For those running the nano filters, I am not sure what the discrepancy is, but just a heads up regarding fitment compatibility.

• Like 4

Nice! I’ve seen them in the background of videos. While I don’t love they way they look, and I’m not necessarily looking for additional flow, this piece from the website alone has me sold:

The Easy Flow sponge filter upgrade kit also comes with an air collar that attaches to the base of the uplift tube. The airline tubing connects to this air collar, which creates smaller bubbles much like an air stone. 

NO MORE HAVING TO TAKE APART FILTERS/NEVER CLOG AIR STONES TO CLEAN THEM EVERY SINGLE WEEK TO MAINTAIN THE AMOUNT OF BUBBLES I WANT AND EFFICIENT USE OF THE SPONGE FILTER?!?!?! SOOOOOOOOOLD! Add to cart right now for THAT alone. 

I’ll take the less pleasing visual aesthetic for that feature any day. The additional flow will just be a bonus!

The disclaimer about nano sponge filters made “after 2023” leads me to believe there will be a new nano sponge filter launched Q1 2024 that will be compatible. 

I would pay $5 for the air collar alone to not ever have to mess with air stones again. For me, I’m paying for the air collar, and the tubing and connectors are free add ons in case I want more flow. This is so simple, but I am so stoked for this product and will purchase it for every sponge filter I have that it fits, and I’ll consider upgrading the couple nanos I have running just to be able to use the air collar. 

On 9/28/2023 at 9:49 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I would pay $5 for the air collar alone to not ever have to mess with air stones again.

Yeah.... there's definitely a way to reduce cost / parts on the kit. Less waste. For those who simply need one thing. Maybe they will sell each piece or certain pieces individually in future for replacements.

On 9/28/2023 at 5:18 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

For those who may not have seen it....  Get your clickers ready.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/filtration/products/easy-flow-sponge-filter-upgrade-kit

For those running the nano filters, I am not sure what the discrepancy is, but just a heads up regarding fitment compatibility.

The current (soon to be previous) nanos have a smaller diameter uplift tube compared to all the others.

Thanks for posting this.  I had noticed what looked like an attachment on one of the new videos and on a new graphic on something and went to the website but didn’t find it anywhere.  Going there now to get notified when available.  Bubbles moving across the surface will tend to increase turnover of the whole water column a bit but mostly keep the surface water moving more for better gas exchange.

Edited by Odd Duck
Clarify.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if the curving uplift tube might still be attached to the older nanos even if the air collar doesn’t fit?  I have some sponges that I’d use the air collar but don’t necessarily need the curve.  I could maybe use the curve on one and air collar on a different one?  2 in 1 upgrades?  I only have 4 tanks with nanos and I have 4 x 5 G culture tanks with bigger sponges where I could use the air collar.  They have enough circulation I wouldn’t need the curved bit.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2023 at 4:43 AM, Odd Duck said:

I wonder if the curving uplift tube might still be attached to the older nanos even if the air collar doesn’t fit?  I have some sponges that I’d use the air collar but don’t necessarily need the curve.  I could maybe use the curve on one and air collar on a different one?  2 in 1 upgrades?  I only have 4 tanks with nanos and I have 4 x 5 G culture tanks with bigger sponges where I could use the air collar.  They have enough circulation I wouldn’t need the curved bit.

I'm sure someone on the forums could make an "old nano" compatible version using a printer.  Honestly, if you really wanted the nano to "fit" there's probably a way.  If I can patch together a decent Tidal I'm sure some sandpaper or glue and it would work out eventually.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'm sure someone on the forums could make an "old nano" compatible version using a printer.  Honestly, if you really wanted the nano to "fit" there's probably a way.  If I can patch together a decent Tidal I'm sure some sandpaper or glue and it would work out eventually.

I’m on the list to get notified when available, so I’ll be getting at least 4 to start with, maybe more.  I’ll have more than enough to see if the smaller tubes fit on the “old” nano uplift tube.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thought I'd answer some questions.

They Easy flow won't fit older nano sponge filters, much like the power head doesn't because of a different lift tube size. However with the Easy flow, we redesigned the nano sponge filter pieces so that they'll be the same size as as the rest of the sponge filters. However these aren't in production yet and won't be sold until we sell out of our current stock. I'd have to look into that timeline to see when exactly that changeover happens.

As for speeding up the flow with the curve, when the bubbles pop at the top with only the upward lift, it creates the up and down wave, this creates some back pressure as the water goes up and down and slows it. When you redirect it to the side, and have the right curve it eliminates that up and down motion at the normal exit point and overall the tube length is longer and has no hard stops. People are correct that the longer uplift tube makes the biggest difference. But also the non channeling of the air by the design of the air collar accomplishes this. If you put too much air through and it channels, you'll move much less water. These things will be explained in some fish room videos coming up and eventually a video on the website about the easy flow.

As for the kit, it includes all the pieces. You can use just an air collar, or air collar, 1 extension, with the curved part etc. Mix and match. Also you can stack parts so the kits for a 10 gallon where you don't use the extensions can be added on to the sponge filter going in a 100 gallon tank etc.

On 10/2/2023 at 6:49 PM, Cory said:

Thought I'd answer some questions.

They Easy flow won't fit older nano sponge filters, much like the power head doesn't because of a different lift tube size. However with the Easy flow, we redesigned the nano sponge filter pieces so that they'll be the same size as as the rest of the sponge filters. However these aren't in production yet and won't be sold until we sell out of our current stock. I'd have to look into that timeline to see when exactly that changeover happens.

As for speeding up the flow with the curve, when the bubbles pop at the top with only the upward lift, it creates the up and down wave, this creates some back pressure as the water goes up and down and slows it. When you redirect it to the side, and have the right curve it eliminates that up and down motion at the normal exit point and overall the tube length is longer and has no hard stops. People are correct that the longer uplift tube makes the biggest difference. But also the non channeling of the air by the design of the air collar accomplishes this. If you put too much air through and it channels, you'll move much less water. These things will be explained in some fish room videos coming up and eventually a video on the website about the easy flow.

As for the kit, it includes all the pieces. You can use just an air collar, or air collar, 1 extension, with the curved part etc. Mix and match. Also you can stack parts so the kits for a 10 gallon where you don't use the extensions can be added on to the sponge filter going in a 100 gallon tank etc.

But would it be possible to ship those across the Atlantic?? 🙃

You’re probably asked this a lot of time (sorry!) but how is the world domination of aquarium co-op going? 

• Administrators
On 10/2/2023 at 10:00 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

But would it be possible to ship those across the Atlantic?? 🙃

You’re probably asked this a lot of time (sorry!) but how is the world domination of aquarium co-op going? 

I'd say world domination for aquarium co-op is slow. With the fears of the economy everywhere around the world, companies seemingly don't have the money/want the risk of bringing on a new brand like us. I'd imagine when the economy world wide turns around we'll see some big moves happening easier.

• Administrators
On 10/2/2023 at 10:31 AM, Pepere said:

That is interesting and I can see where it has some merit…

I should also clarify this is when a tube goes to the surface this happens. with a small tube, the bubbles just go around the backward pressure on the way up.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:11 PM, Cory said:

I'd say world domination for aquarium co-op is slow. With the fears of the economy everywhere around the world, companies seemingly don't have the money/want the risk of bringing on a new brand like us. I'd imagine when the economy world wide turns around we'll see some big moves happening easier.

We’re currently going through all this macro-economic stuff in my Economics class. 
There’s always the danger of being a new player and being relatively unknown to customers (but not to the fish fanatics!).

On 10/3/2023 at 2:25 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Buying habits and learning habits are difficult to change for whatever reason. 

Maybe because we’d rather not take that leap into the great unknown and risk out tanks instead of stick with what we have already. 
Have you tried pointing them towards the ACO blog? 

@TheSwissAquarist could be, some people are just set in stone. I’ve tried sending them over the the YouTube channel, the online store, the blog, and this forum. In my experience, if they aren’t willing to watch a 5-10 min video then they probably aren’t going to read a blog, but I suggest it all. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not persistent, I toss the suggestion out and if it sticks, it sticks. By no measure am I pushing anyone towards the coop either. It’s always just a suggestion. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the video today on the channel and it sparked an idea....

I don't know if it's worth it, but one potential improvement could be a duck-bill style output on the end of the tube.  I don't think it would restrict anything, but it would spread out the flow across the surface to create slightly more surface movement.

Looking forward to seeing them in the wild.

• Administrators
On 10/20/2023 at 1:01 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Saw the video today on the channel and it sparked an idea....

I don't know if it's worth it, but one potential improvement could be a duck-bill style output on the end of the tube.  I don't think it would restrict anything, but it would spread out the flow across the surface to create slightly more surface movement.

Looking forward to seeing them in the wild.

The duck bill, actually slows flow down, because it bunches the bubbles up at a choke point and and causes it get louder and it to glug as opposed to smooth flow. I have no doubt that people here will try a bunch of 3d printed things and possibly improve upon the design. However it was time to get version 1.0 into production and see what we learn at mass scale with 50k people testing it.